Swiss Pass 4 days vs. Flexi 5 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2011 at 23:21:41 #804171

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to go to Europe in June, and will spend about 5 days in Switzerland.

Our itenary for the Swiss part is:
    Day 1: Morning train from Milan to Interlaken – staying in Murren
    Day 2: Murren and around
    Day 3: Murren and around, late afternoon train to Luzern (staying in Luzern)
    Day 4: Luzern and around
    Day 5: Morning train to Paris

A couple of questions:
    1. Would it be better/easier for us to purchase Swiss Pass Saver 4 days + Luzern-Paris ticket on day 5, or instead purchase the Swiss Flexi Saver 5 days + Basel-Paris ticket?
    From my research on several sites, I know the price difference for 4 days pass and 5 days flexi is about CHF154. But I cant work out the price for Luzern-Basel-Paris; as the quotes I’ve got so far, range from around 100 to 160 CHF.

2. Just to be sure: is it true that I can’t purchase the swiss pass in Milan,and that it would be best to purchase these pass from Raileurope Singapore office and have the pass mailed to us in Indonesia.?

Please help and thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    21 March 2011 at 15:19:14 #832344

Hi Glembidor! It would be cheaper to buy a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass and purchase an additional ticket from Lucerne to Basel (and Paris) on day 5. The trip from Lucerne to Basel at the Swiss border costs only CHF 31.00 (in 2nd class; CHF 52.00 in 1st class), which is cheaper than the price difference between a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass and a 5 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. You shouldn’t draw the leg Basel-Paris into your calculations, as both the Swiss Pass and the Swiss Flexi Pass are only valid up to the Swiss border. So the different quotes you get for the French part of your outbound journey have no influence on the Swiss Pass/Swiss Flexi Pass matter. Prices for trips within Switzerland can be obtained through the Swiss timetable (our rail FAQ explain how to do this). Does this clear things up for you?

No, Swiss (Flexi) Passe are not available in Milan, so if you want to be able to continue your inbound journey from Italy (without having to get out at a border station to buy your Swiss Saver Pass), it would be best to purchase it online in advance. You only have to ask the railway personnel in the international train from Italy to Switzerland to validate the pass for you (which means that they’ll stamp the pass). You can order your Swiss Saver Pass by clicking your country of residence (Indonesia) from the list under the header ‘Order your Swiss Pass here’ at the Swiss Pass page. You’ll be redirected to RailEurope Singapore, which will mail the passes to your home address in Indonesia.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2011 at 21:25:03 #832345

Sweet….many thanks for the prompt and very informative reply!

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass 4 days vs. Flexi 5 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.