Swiss pass and other train questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2011 at 20:37:55 #804347

Hi

My 11 year old daughter and I will be travelling from Prague to Zurich this summer which I know is a separate ticket from the Swiss pass – but it looks like the train continues onto Luzerne, which is where we’re going for 2 days.
    Would we just get our Swiss pass beforehand and stay on the train?
    Is it the same price to buy the pass in Canada before we go?
    We will spend 3 days in the Oberland then take the Golden Rail to Geneva before leaving for Paris. Does the Swiss pass include this trip?
    Should we reserve for it and how do I do it?
    thanks!
    Anna

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 May 2011 at 0:35:17 #832987

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the forum! You can best review the Swiss Pass page; it shows all local and pre-sale prices on the right (be sure to select your country, desired pass and travelers) and links to a detailed map with covered routes and a reservation page.

If you buy your pass in advance you can indeed stay on the train. You need to have your pass validated by the train personnel before your reach the Swiss border. The Golden Pass is included in the Swiss Pass. Booking seats can be done from the reservation page.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2011 at 16:08:34 #832988

Thank-you. That helps alot. A few more questions…..
    If I buy a 2nd class Swiss Pass, am I able to reserve a panoramic car on the Golden Pass? Do I need to have the pass before I can do this?

When looking at the “reservations” section, I’m unable to select the panoramic cars. Does that mean they are all reserved?

Do I need to reserve for each town along the way? I plan to travel non stop from Interlaken to Montrex.

One last question…..is it possible to purchase a Golden Pass ticket and not buy a Swiss Pass? I’m wondering if it’s more economical as my entire trip will include Zurich- Lucerne – Interlaken and the Oberland, then Interlaken to Montrex. Thanks once again.

Anna

Annika
    7103 posts
    1 June 2011 at 15:09:23 #832989

Hello Anna. You can make reservations in advance with or without possessing a Swiss Pass. Panoramic coaches may indeed be full (depending on your date of travel). If you don’t manage to book your preferred seats, you can best contact the Golden Pass company. They may be able to help you out, as not all seats are available for online booking. You can make just one reservation for the entire way from Interlaken to Montreux.

A Golden Pass ticket can be bought separately from a Swiss Pass. It’s quite a long and expensive journey though, so – depending on your travel plans in the Bernese Oberland – I think you’re better off with a rail pass. The FAQ on calculating travel fares may help you out here.

• The thread ‘Swiss pass and other train questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.