Swiss Pass – EC train from Milan to Geneve

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2011 at 9:35:48 #804412

Hi,

I have a few quick questions.

I along with my wife travelling to Swiss fron 24th June – 27 June
    I know this is pretty late to plan but i’m left with no other option.

My rough Itinerary is as below
    24 june – Milan to Geneve – Geneve city -Night staty in Geneve –
    25June – Geneve to Interlaken – Joungfro – Night Stay in Interlaken
    26June – Interlaken to Lucern – Mt.Titlis/Mt.Pilatus – Night Stay in Lucern
    27June – Lucern to Lugano – Lugano to Milano

I am planning to swiss saver pass.

My questions
    1. I am aware that EC trains are covered under swiss pass. But when i purchase a EC train ticket at Milan, i will be charged fr the complete journey upto geneve. however i will be under loss for the journey that i make once the train enters swiss.
    What is the solution in this case?

2. Is my choice of swiss pass correct?

3. Do you have some better than what i have planned? I am not interested in hiking or bike riding. I stay in Italy and would want to start and end my journey at Milan with the specified dates.

Help to my above queries is warmly appreciated.

Regards,
    Martin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 June 2011 at 6:04:32 #833228

Hello Martin, and welcome!

1) The Swiss Pass covers the Swiss network of trains, including EC trains, but not the Italian network. This means that you have to purchase a regular ticket for the Italian leg of your inbound trip from Milan to Geneva, as this isn’t covered by your Swiss Pass yet. The validity of the Swiss Pass starts at certain border stations. Depending on your train connection from Milan, this will probably be Domodossola or Chiasso. Please refer to the map under the link ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Pass is valid’ at the Swiss Pass page and the timetable for further details. So you have to buy a non-discounted ticket from Milan to Domodossola or Chiasso. From that point onward, your Swiss Pass serves as your train ticket and the remaining part of the journey is for free.

2) Yes, a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass would be the right choice for your itinerary, as it contains many long and expensive train journeys. So you’ll definitely profit from the free travel offered by the Swiss Pass. It’s very comfortable as well, as you don’t have to purchase regular tickets (except for your mountain visits to the Jungfraujoch and Titlis/Pilatus, which require discounted tickets).

3) You’ve planned quite a full travel scheme, but it does allow you to cross larger regions of the country within a few days only. You can make some great (train) journeys as well. For example: travel from Geneva to Interlaken using the Golden Pass route via Gstaad and Zweisimmen on June 25th. And consider the William Tell Express for your trip from Lucerne to Lugano. The timetable will help you out here. One last tip would be to only get up to the Jungfraujoch and Titlis/Pilatus if weather is fine. If it’s not, try to find an alternative, such as a boat trip over lake Brienz or Thun (near Interlaken) of lake Lucerne.

I hope you’ll have a great stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2011 at 5:39:44 #833229

Hi Annika,

First of all i take this opportunity to thank you for apt replies and i appreciate for your patience responses.
    I have been going through few other threads and found that most of my queries were already answered.

I thank you again for the info on Golden pass route and the William Teil express. They seem to excite me even more. I have included them in my plan.

Thanks again

Martin

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 June 2011 at 6:04:31 #833230

You’re welcome Martin! I’m glad to hear that this forum answered your questions. Have a wonderful trip!

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass – EC train from Milan to Geneve’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.