Swiss Pass from Switz Travel centre ideal for self

• traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    19 September 2012 at 4:59:12 #805631

Hello there,

We arrived in Zurich on SQ yesterday Tues 18 Sept. the Swiss Flexi Pass we ordered beforehand, through the link in your website is so convenient. We opted to purchase the Pass through SWITZERLAND TRAVEL CENTRE because we didnt need to go to the train station counter to validate.

At Zurich airport, we just hopped on the train to Interlaken via Lucerne. The inspectors come around on each train so we showed them our passports and passes. On the smaller trains and buses, they just looked at our passes.

If you are not in a hurry, take the interlaken route rather via lucerne rather than the route via Bern. Its really so scenic as others mentioned. We were worried about the 5 min transfer time at Lucerne but we made it just on time from platorm 6 to platform 12 even with our luggages. In any case, we could have hung around for the next train if we missed it. That’s the great thing about self planning.

So for those who want a hassle-free validation, buy the Pass from the SWITZERLAND TRAVEL CENTRE. The link is given on this website under railpasses. Upon receipt of the Passes by courier, we filled in our 1st day of Pass travel. We only needed to write our name, country on the pass (must be according to yoour passport). In our case, under “lnad”, we wrote Singapore.

Then we filled the date of travel using the Pass. Date as in day i.e. 18, month as in “09” (sept). Since its self validated, dont make any mistakes filling in the details.

We are currently staying in Beatenberg Hotel Gloria..million dollar views on the bus ride from Interlaken West to Beatenberg Hubel stop. Will do a trip report once we are done.

A special thank you to the moderators on this forum for the great job in helping us.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    19 September 2012 at 7:05:33 #837262

Sorry for the typo error, I meant under “land”, we filled in “Singapore” (according to our passport).

Also forgot to add that when disembarking from the train, we needed to push the button to open the train door. We were waiting for the door to automatically open and were wondering why it took so long…LOL! On another train from Lucerne to Interlaken Ost, we needed to use the door handle rather than a button to open the door.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 September 2012 at 7:14:30 #837263

Hi traveljet,

Glad to hear that it all works out so conveniently for you. Thanks for letting us know!

For other people reading this: this is the link to Switzerland Travel Centre (swissrailways.com), where you can indeed order passes that allow self validation.

I’m looking forward to your trip report. Enjoy your stay in Beatenberg!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2012 at 17:50:49 #837264

[quote]traveljet said: Hello there,

We arrived in Zurich on SQ yesterday Tues 18 Sept. the Swiss Flexi Pass we ordered beforehand, through the link in your website is so convenient. We opted to purchase the Pass through SWITZERLAND TRAVEL CENTRE because we didnt need to go to the train station counter to validate.

At Zurich airport, we just hopped on the train to Interlaken via Lucerne. The inspectors come around on each train so we showed them our passports and passes. On the smaller trains and buses, they just looked at our passes.

If you are not in a hurry, take the interlaken route rather via lucerne rather than the route via Bern. Its really so scenic as others mentioned. We were worried about the 5 min transfer time at Lucerne but we made it just on time from platorm 6 to platform 12 even with our luggages. In any case, we could have hung around for the next train if we missed it. That’s the great thing about self planning.

So for those who want a hassle-free validation, buy the Pass from the SWITZERLAND TRAVEL CENTRE. The link is given on this website under railpasses. Upon receipt of the Passes by courier, we filled in our 1st day of Pass travel. We only needed to write our name, country on the pass (must be according to yoour passport). In our case, under “lnad”, we wrote Singapore.

Then we filled the date of travel using the Pass. Date as in day i.e. 18, month as in “09” (sept). Since its self validated, dont make any mistakes filling in the details.

We are currently staying in Beatenberg Hotel Gloria..million dollar views on the bus ride from Interlaken West to Beatenberg Hubel stop. Will do a trip report once we are done.

A special thank you to the moderators on this forum for the great job in helping us.[/quote]

We came home after 8 wonderful days in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago and I would also like to thank all the moderators who gave me so much help with planning our trip. We went to Luzern from Interlaken the boring route(Via Bern) but came back on the golden pass. Magic! wonderful views the entire way. The only advice I could give other travellers is to have a look at the timetables posted at the stations and plan your return trip from where ever you are to where you want to end up.We wasted lots of time missing a train and having to wait at least an hour for the next one!

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 September 2012 at 1:14:02 #837265

You’re most welcome aussie, thanks for reporting about your stay! It’s indeed good advice to take a look at the timetables beforehand. It makes trips so much more convenient.

I hope to see you back here in case you decide to plan another trip to Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass from Switz Travel centre ideal for self’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.