Swiss Travel Pass or Eurail with Venice travel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 10:41:46 #815204

HI I would be travelling to Switzerland and Venice (Italy ) for 1 week.

I would be visiting Venice for 2 days and spend the remaining days in Switzerland. My trip would likely to as follows:

Day 1 – arrive at Venice

Day 2 – half day in Venice and travel to Switzerland ( plan to take train to Zurich.. but am not sure whether it is the best choice)

Day 3- Tour Zurich and train to Bern (Tour Bern) and take Boat to Interlaken.

Day 4- Travel on golden rail from Interlaken to Montreux. Tour Montreux

Day 5-From Interlaken- tour Schilthorn

Day 6- From Interlaken- tour Jungfrau

I am now thinking to get either the Swiss pass or Eurail pass and also whether the literary is suitable or too wide spread over the days.

Please assist and comment on it. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 15:46:25 #881503

Hi PSHong and welcome to MySwissAlps!

With such limited travel in Italy I wouldn’t think a Eurail Pass would be beneficial. The Swiss Travel Pass gives much better coverage and discounts here as well.

If your end destination is Bern then you will go via Zurich if you want the fastest option (there are trains from Venice direct to Zurich so a total of 6 hours roughly). See the timetable here.

Your itinerary looks pretty reasonable, but there is no boat TO Interlaken from Bern. There are boats on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz that go to Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 3:02:48 #881504

>> Day 2 – half day in Venice and travel to Switzerland ( plan to take train to Zurich.. but am not sure whether it is the best choice) Day 3- Tour Zurich and train to Bern (Tour Bern) and take Boat to Interlaken.

You might want to consider skipping Zürich in favour of Luzern/Lucerne, which is a more beautiful town with easy access to a number of mountains. In this case, you would get off the train at Arth-Goldau and continue to Luzern on a local train.

If you still wanted to go to Bern, you could do so from Luzern, but there is lots to do in Luzern itself.

You will get more accurate advice if you provide your travel dates, as many activities and mountain transport options in Switzerland are seasonal.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 9:16:56 #881505

Thanks for the reply.

Aside to Alpenrose

I will be in Switzerland from 27 June to 30 June. Appreciate your advise in advance.

Regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 8:46:09 #881506

>> I will be in Switzerland from 27 June to 30 June.

Pretty much all mountain transport, boats etc will be back in full swing by then, so you will have plenty of options to choose from!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Eurail with Venice travel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.