Swiss Pass or point tickets?

• josews
    Participant
    2 posts
    22 November 2013 at 1:41:35 #806203

I’m planning to have trip to Switzerland on March 2014 with detail like below:

Day 1: train from Paris to Basel, the Basel to Lucerne
    Day 2: Trip to Engelberg
    Day 3: Lucerne city sightseeing or go to Pilatus / Rigi for daytrip
    Day 4: train from Lucerne to Geneva
    Day 5: Geneva city to Geneva airport

Is Swiss Pass for 4 constitutive days is suitable for me?
    What is your comment if I purchase point to point ticket which I tried to calculate much cheaper?

If I don’t purchase Swiss Pass, then is it possible if I get around Lucerne city by public transport? Is there any daily pass on Lucerne?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 November 2013 at 4:18:35 #839344

Hi josews,

A 4-day Swiss Pass can indeed be used for your trip. Use it for day 1 to 4. You can check whether the pass is economical as explained here. Note that the Rigi is free with a Swiss Pass, so if you pick that one you save more. Paris to Basel requires a TGV Lyria point to point ticket. From Basel onwards is included in the Swiss Pass. More pass information is here and prices are here.

The Pilatus funicular will be closed in March. There’s only the cable car from Kriens (Lucerne).

If you don’t have a pass you can purchase a day card for public transport in Lucerne. You’d pay more if you want to travel in a larger area (zones). You can go to the ticket desk and explain your plans to get the right ticket.

This list of hotels in Lucerne may come in handy too.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or point tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.