Swiss pass question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2010 at 3:36:42 #803755

hi i want to buy a swiss pass for me and wife and children (12, 10, 7 years old). please need help on some questions: is the swiss pass valid on jungfraugh, schilthorn and glacier express? Do i have to order now or in swiss? we will visit also titlus mountain, is the pass valid there? do i have to buy five passes for each of the family or is it one pass? what is the price?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 April 2010 at 6:31:43 #831049

Hello Sanjay. Yes, the Swiss pass is valid on all trips you mention. A map showing the area of validity can be seen by clicking the link ‘overview on which the Swiss Pass is valid’ at the Swiss Pass page. You would have to buy one Swiss Saver Pass for you and your wife. Your children travel along for free if you order a free STS family card along with your Swiss Saver Pass. A price list is available as well.

You can either order online by following the links at the Swiss Pass page or purchase your pass at any manned Swiss railway station. An advantage of ordering online in advance is that you don’t have to spend time buying your passes in Switzerland, and that you can start using them right after your arrival.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2010 at 9:51:26 #831050

Hi Sanjay, please note that some cable cars (Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Titlis) aren’t for free with your Swiss Pass, but discounted by 50% of 25%. The map mentioned by Annika shows this.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 April 2010 at 10:47:45 #831051

That’s correct Atmer-60, thank you for your useful addition. The Swiss Pass offers free travelling on most train, bus and boat routes and discounted travelling on mountain transportation. Another tip: you should reserve seats for your Glacier Express trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2010 at 3:49:07 #831052

okay thanks. Should I buy first or second class?

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 April 2010 at 9:47:52 #831053

Both first and second class train travelling are comfortable in Switzerland. First class offers larger seats, more luggage storage options and (sometimes) larger or even panoramic windows. In rush hours, first class can be less crowded than second class. Please note though that buses and mountain transportation don’t offer first class sections. So the choice for 1st or 2nd class depends on your wishes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2010 at 12:55:20 #831054

I would say that second class is good enough in most cases, it always worked out just fine for me. Rush hours can be busy, that’s true, so if you absolutely want to avoid crowded coaches I would recommend that you buy a 1st class pass.

• The thread ‘Swiss pass question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.