swiss pass validity and general planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2014 at 15:15:46 #806329

Hello everyone. Not long to go now before our now annual trip to Switzerland. We are spending 4 weeks from mid-July to mid-August in the lovely apartment we found in Thun. (this will be our 4th stay there and we are now on very friendly terms with our hosts and correspond by email occasionally through the year – my German improves with practice!) The flights are booked and Swiss Saver Pass ordered. I am now busy using sbb timetable to plan excursions – we will as usual try to visit new places as well as old favourites. We are astonished that after 14 holidays there are still so many places we haven’t been to yet!!A couple of queries have arisen from my research. 1. We are keen to visit Liechtenstein this year and I have found train and bus times ok – it looks on my synoptic map of validity as though the bus from Sargans to Malbun and/or Vaduz is covered by Swiss Pass – am I correct? Also what currency will we need – do they accept Swiss francs? 2. I have also researched train times to Chamonix Mont Blanc – there is an unbroken red line on the map which I assumed meant Swiss Pass is valid but next to the last section of the route there is a number 2 and a note that says half-price reduction is not valid. Does this mean that other typed of pass such as Half Fare Card are not valid but Swiss Pass is? I am a bit confused about this! Thank you and best wishes from Maggie. Now back to some more planning!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 April 2014 at 8:37:11 #839834

Hi Maggie,

Good to hear from you and your new plans again! As for your questions:

1. The bus from Sargans to Liechtenstein is indeed included in the Swiss Pass. You can download a PDF-version of the map from the Swiss Pass page and zoom in to see all details. The Swiss franc is the currency of Liechtenstein too, so no problem there.

2. You are correct. The Swiss Pass covers the trip to Chamonix for free. Swiss rail passes that offer 50% off do not work there.

I’m already looking forward to your trip report! There’s a dedicated section for that now. Have fun planning the further details of your holidays!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2014 at 10:15:58 #839835

Hi Arno Thank you for your prompt reply. I am using map which came with last year’s pass – just wanted to be sure I interpreted it correctly. I will be in touch if anything else crops up I need advice on and will certainly post trip reports while there and on return. I will take my laptop with me again so I can use sbb while there and also weather forecasts as I only have an old very basic phone which doesn’t have internet!

Back now to some more planning and research.

Best wishes Maggie

• The thread ‘swiss pass validity and general planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.