Swiss pass vs eurail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2010 at 13:55:41 #804069

Hi,
    My wife and me want to visit france, Italy, switzerland. I want to buy swiss pass for 3day and France-Italy pass for 5 day. I am no taking 3 country pass because I saw swiss pass has big discount on scenery train fare and other facility compare to eurail 3 country pass. so I have question what will happen..
    1. for my trip from zurich to paris and,
    2. Genoa to zurich..
    It will cover my whole trip or I have to pay, etc
    thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    12 December 2010 at 9:40:24 #832030

Hi gangati. With the combination of passes you describe, both trips you mention should be for free. Please note that both passes do have to be valid on the dates you want to make these trips. For instance: you’ll need your Swiss Pass for the trip from Zurich to the Swiss border, and your France-Italy Pass for the leg from the Swiss border to Paris. When travelling from Genoa to Zurich, your France-Italy Pass will cover the Italian leg of the journey, and your Swiss Pass will take over once you’ve crossed the Swiss border. For such international trips, seat reservations have to be made, which require additional payment. The train trips themselves are covered by both passes though.

I hope this clears things up!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2010 at 10:17:11 #832031

Hi Annika,
    Thanks for your reply. So what should I do. which is better option for me. 3 country pass or swiss pass plus france-Italy pass.

[quote]Annika said: Hi gangati. With the combination of passes you describe, both trips you mention should be for free. Please note that both passes do have to be valid on the dates you want to make these trips. For instance: you’ll need your Swiss Pass for the trip from Zurich to the Swiss border, and your France-Italy Pass for the leg from the Swiss border to Paris. When travelling from Genoa to Zurich, your France-Italy Pass will cover the Italian leg of the journey, and your Swiss Pass will take over once you’ve crossed the Swiss border. For such international trips, seat reservations have to be made, which require additional payment. The train trips themselves are covered by both passes though.
    I hope this clears things up![/quote]

Annika
    7125 posts
    13 December 2010 at 10:56:16 #832032

Hi gangati. I think your decision to purchase a France-Italy pass and a Swiss Pass is the right one. The Swiss Pass covers more (scenic) train journeys and cable cars in Switzerland than Eurail Pass variants do. So if this is important to you, my advice would be to stick with your decision.

Best regards,

• The thread ‘Swiss pass vs eurail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.