Swiss prepaid mobile options for travelling

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2019 at 23:27:02 #824693

Hello Everyone,

I have to travel Switzerland next week from Berlin Germany, and i have Vodafone CallYa prepaid phone connection.

1. My First question is what in Switzerland all EU mobile and data roaming works free of change as like in other EU countries.

2. after some initial googling i found roaming will be ON but its not free, is it true?

3. What are the mobile data option available for visitors in Switzerland? what is the best option for best price. Some one told me swisscom and sunrise is not good and recommended for Salt for good data package and coverage network.

4. I need expert opinion and from where i can get swiss sim in Zurich, at Zurich HBF is it available?

Thanks & Regards,

Naeem

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 December 2019 at 1:51:10 #926641

Hi Naeem-

<<“s what in Switzerland all EU mobile and data roaming works free of change as like in other EU countries.”>>

Switzerland is not a member of the EU. For good reasons. ‘;-)

Please learn to use the search function on this website. Then, you will not have to wait for an answer and can get it quickly.

http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 December 2019 at 2:58:25 #926642

Hello Naeem,

You would need to check with Vodaphone what they will charge for ROAMing data in Switzerland. With prepaid accounts the prices are often fierce.

For the best value data SIM you can’t go past shop.salt.ch/en/plans/prepay/

The actual offer may be hidden behind a 50% discount pop up which you have to dismiss to see the real deal. Hit the “X” at top right hand corner of the pop up.

It is not officially endorsed by MySwissAlps but I used this SIM when I visited last year and found it great value. We have reports of another member sending weather reports to the forum from the top of Schilthorn using that SIM.

CHF19.95 (when I used this SIM in 2017 it was only CHF10 but still great value) gets you 10 days unlimited high-speed data (assuming you use it only for data and not calls as well).

Swisscom offer a CHF2/day pre-paid deal but they have a limit of 10Gb/month and speeds are limited to 10Mbps download and 2Mbps upload which is probably OK if you primarily want to use the SBB mobile app. But don’t go trying to stream Netflix HD on that!

If you want unlimited calls and data the Sunrise have a pretty compelling deal (http://www.sunrise.ch/medias/sys_master/Factsheets/Factsheets/hef/hc7/8974911078430/B03-Factsheet-Sunrise-Prepaid-Unlimited-EN.pdf).

Make sure your phone is not locked to your home provider. If it is then the Traveller’s WiFi is the go. See http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard.

Anna
    6382 posts
    20 December 2019 at 10:54:13 #926643

Hi Naeem,

There is a Mobilezone shop at the Zurich main station if you want to get a prepaid sim. Location plan here: http://www.sbb.ch/content/internet/sbb/en/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/shopville-zuerich-hb/geschaefte/shop-detail.html/geo-mobilezone-ab25

If you are set on getting a Salt prepaid SIM as recommended by rockoyster, there is a Salt store on Bahnhofplatz just outside the main station.

Hope that helps! And happy holidays.

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss prepaid mobile options for travelling’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.