Swiss road trip end of December

• anelisemuniq
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 April 2023 at 22:56:40 #829698

Hello there!

We are road trip enthusiasts and have done roadtrips in Switzerland before however, never during winter. After reading some posts about tire safety and black ice on roads, I have questions about which are the main roads I could plan to travel on the following routes (I try to avoid secondary small roads): Gruyeres-Chamonix; Chamonix-Beatenberg, Beatenberg-Luzern. Also, overall are these roads safe at the end of December?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2023 at 0:03:22 #953800

Main roads will be fine. Routes are always cleared efficiently following snowfall (if there is any). You just need to follow the rules regarding use of snow tyres or snow chains where applicable.

Gruyeres – Chamonix entails a short journey from Gruyeres to the motorway at Bulle, then Motorway Bulle – Vevey – Martigny, then you need to take the Col de la Forclaz pass road. This road is kept open in winter as it is a key link and the col is at comparatively low altitude (1527m) .

From Chamonix to Beatenberg, you have a choice of two routes

• Chamonix – Forclaz – Martigny – Goppenstein – Lotschberg rail tunnel car carrier service – Kandersteg – Spiez – Interlaken – Beatenberg
    • Chamonix – Martigny – motorway via Vevey to Bern – Bern – Thun – Beatenberg

From Beatenberg to Luzern join the A8 at Interlaken and it goes direct to Luzern via the Briunig pass route

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    27 April 2023 at 9:24:41 #953801

Hello anelisemuniq,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, most main roads should be accessible.

Here is a useful link in regard to driving in Switzerland during winter. Within, you will be able to read about what to be aware of, tips, traffic information and more.

This website will be handy too: https://alpen-paesse.ch/en/

Kind regards,

Yolanda

anelisemuniq
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 April 2023 at 11:01:39 #953802

Thank you for all the info! Very helpful!

anelisemuniq
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 April 2023 at 11:02:17 #953803

Thank you Yolanda! Yes, I’ll check the links.

• The thread ‘Swiss road trip end of December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.