Swiss train system: where are the freight trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2018 at 15:31:59 #818582

We just got back from 2 weeks in Switzerland, and I’ll be writing a trip report in case our experiences help anyone else. The Swiss train system has got to be the 8th wonder of the world, but in 2 weeks of taking a train almost every day, I started to notice that I didn’t see any freight trains. Never passed one, never saw any freight cars on a siding, nothing. It’s hard to believe that such a comprehensive, efficient system isn’t used for the distribution of goods throughout the country.

So here’s my question: is the Swiss rail system only used for passengers? Do the freight trains only run at night? Am I blind or stupid?

Just curious,

Barry P

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2018 at 16:05:05 #897215

Hi Barry,

They are there! You wouldn’t notice them in most train stations when waiting for your train (as cargo facilities aren’t there) but a lot of freight trains travel through Switzerland (with Genoa to Rotterdam being a main freight route).

I lived on the outskirts of Zurich and saw a lot of freight trains zip by me while i waited to catch my train. Potatoes seems to be a common commodity that I saw rolling be (don’t ask me why!)

From what I know, a lot of European money helps pay for Switzerland’s long, expensive train tunnels; as it would be too expensive for little Switzerland to pay for normally. This is to help move freight more quickly through the Alps and into and out of Europe (much to the benefit of locals and tourists!).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2018 at 23:53:33 #897216

I find that very strange, unless you only travelled on the narrow gauge and mountain railways.

There are freight trains on all main standard gauge arteries in Switzerland. In some places near Zurich and Basel freight trains can be seen about every 10 minutes throughout the day.

Here is my picture of a train with 4 locomotives at Spiez in August

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 October 2018 at 4:06:29 #897217

Now that’s a freight train! Four engines and I suppose an endless string of cars. Indeed there are quite some freight trains on the main lines usually.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2018 at 0:08:27 #897218

Indeed, the total power of those 4 locomotives is 32,000 horsepower – 32000 horses would take up a lot more space…

• The thread ‘Swiss train system: where are the freight trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.