Swiss Travel Pass buying ticket Chur to Passau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 0:52:52 #814462

I have a swiss trave pass. I am travelling from Chur to Passau Germany through St. Margethen to Munich on to Passau.

do I only need to buy a ticket from Munich to Passau? The first portion of my trip is covered by the STP?

if I want to travel first class but have a second class travel pass what do i do?

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 1:59:36 #876976

Your STP will cover you to the Swiss border town. St Margarethen.

If you use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to buy your ticket you will come to a point in the process where you can claim a discount on part of the journey in Switzerland. Choose GA 2.cl to get the correct reduction for your STP. Or you can just buy a ticket from St. Margethen to Munich.

Just as a matter of interest if you book using Deutsche Bahn (http://www.bahn.com/en/view/i ndex.shtml) and go direct Chur to Munich (not via Passau) you can get a saver fare ticket as low as €19.90.

Arno
    15485 posts
    22 February 2018 at 8:24:39 #876977

Hi Travelgamma,

Rockoyster’s first option (choosing GA) is correct for trips within Switzerland, but use this method with caution in case of international tickets. GA is similar, but not the same thing as a Swiss Travel Pass. GA is for Swiss citizens and includes a discount for trips to Germany and Austria (they receive an “Internationale Rabattkarte” for that). This discount does not apply to the Swiss Travel Pass, so be careful not to buy the wrong ticket.

The most secure way is either to book a ticket that takes the actual Swiss Travel Pass discount into account. Various retailers listed on http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price offer such tickets. In your case (USA), you can check http://www.raileurope.com/des tinations/country-guides/article/switzer land.

Or, book two sections:

• Switzerland to the border. This is included in your Swiss Travel Pass, so nothing to book actually.
    • A separate ticket from the border to your destination as Rockoyster suggested too. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/toswitzerland/tra in/tickets to find retailers, in your case click to the Germany page.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 12:42:56 #876978

I was looking at trainline it didnt give me an option for a discounted ticket.

also through DB it doesnt say swiss travel card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 14:36:11 #876979

Also when I leave Chur for Passau how do I know the train will not be full. How am I guranteed a seat?

also I cant seem to find a direct train from Chur to Passau.

Only thing I see is the stop in St magaretrhen which is fine. I just dont want to oay if I have STP.

i feel very confused. Any assistnace would be appreciated.

Arno
    15485 posts
    22 February 2018 at 14:58:25 #876980

Hi Travelgamma,

Trainline is currently only selling regular tickets and tickets for holders of a Swiss Half Fare Card. The Rail Europe link from my previous post works fine in general, although for this particular trip it didn’t provide any discount when I tried it. Possibly because the Swiss leg is relatively short.

I’d stick to the two section method: buy a regular (non-discounted) ticket from St. Margrethen (border) to Passau from any of the websites listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany/pri ce. You don’t need anything for the Swiss leg, not a seat reservation either. Just board your train and show the Swiss Travel Pass when requested. You’re not guaranteed a seat, but in reality that’s no issue. The train will start in Chur, it won’t be so full that you can’t even board.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 15:23:46 #876981

Ok so just to clarify.

i can use my STP for the journey from Chur to St Margrethen and onto Munich-and wont have any problems with seats I do not need to purchase anything in advance.

Once in Munich i need a ticket for the journey from Munich to Passau.

Arno
    15485 posts
    22 February 2018 at 15:31:24 #876982

Hi Travelgamma,

You can’t use the Swiss Travel Pass onto Munich as that’s in Germany. You can only use it to St. Margrethen, the Swiss-German border. You need a ticket from there to Passau. Buy it in advance as explained in my previous post. No need to buy anything in Munich if that’s what you mean. The ticket may include seat reservation if that’s required on the German leg, or reservations might be offered as an option during purchase.

So you only need one ticket.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 21:22:44 #876983

I now can’t understand whether you are going to Passau via Munich or Munich via Passau.

My point in saying “if you book using Deutsche Bahn and go direct Chur to Munich (not via Passau) you can get a saver fare ticket as low as €19.90” was to show how cheap it is. Makes your use of STP irrelevant. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a price via Passau.

Anyway, just take the easy way and use your STP the St. M. and another ticket from there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 22:13:53 #876984

Iam going to Passau via chur. The best way to get there.

I still cannot locate where the website asks for my STP. Or where it is cheaper to use my STO as opposed to just buying a ticket from Chur to Passau.

it seems very confusing.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 23:40:41 #876985

Start from scratch. Get on the train from Chur to St Margrethen using your Swiss Travel Pass. No ticket or reservation required.

Make a reservation and buy a ticket from St Margrethen to Munich via Passau from whichever website gets you the best price.

Does that help clear up the confusion?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 0:11:34 #876986

Thank you!

why are the different websites different lrices?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 February 2018 at 0:13:18 #876987

Competition?

Cross border pricing?

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass buying ticket Chur to Passau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11170 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.