Swiss Travel Pass, Golden Pass and SBB app

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 20:08:55 #811727

Hi!

1) I checked out for boat time tables from Interlaken Ost to Thun on different dates on the SBB mobile app, but there’s no such boat route shown. I deselected all modes of transport except for ‘ship’ in the filter section, but to no avail.

2) how early should I buy the swiss travel pass online? Will one week before the visit be fine? Or should it be much earlier than that?

3) so grateful for the threads for I realised that the golden pass panoramic train does not require any reservation plus is free using the STP. If I choose to travel by the golden pass and avoid other panoramic trains, will I miss out on something? Or would you suggest adding another one, too? Is the golden pass route just as scenic as the Bernina, glacier or gotthard route?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 0:48:48 #862962

>> 1) I checked out for boat time tables from Interlaken Ost to Thun on different dates on the SBB mobile app, but there’s no such boat route shown. I deselected all modes of transport except for ‘ship’ in the filter section, but to no avail.

That’s probably because the boat to Thun goes from Interlaken West, and you need to incorporate bus and/or train travel in the search for the trip from Interlaken Ost to Interlaken West. Do a search from Interlaken West instead and see whether that works.

>> 2) how early should I buy the swiss travel pass online? Will one week before the visit be fine? Or should it be much earlier than that?

One week beforehand will be fine if you are getting a print-at-home Swiss Travel Pass. Personally, I would do it a few weeks beforehand and get it out of the way 🙂

>> 3) so grateful for the threads for I realised that the golden pass panoramic train does not require any reservation plus is free using the STP. If I choose to travel by the golden pass and avoid other panoramic trains, will I miss out on something? Or would you suggest adding another one, too? Is the golden pass route just as scenic as the Bernina, glacier or gotthard route?

All the panoramic trips are very different, and all are worth doing. However, they start and end in different parts of the country, and are lengthy trips if done in full. So it depends on your itinerary, and the time you have available, whether or not it makes sense to do additional panoramic trips.

Here is a map showing the panoramic routes. The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/en/pdf/en_bahnhof -services/en_am-bahnhof/en_unsere-bahnhoefe/panoramic-routes.pdf

The Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Gotthard Panorama Express have compulsory reservations at an additional fee.

There is more information here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 5:11:29 #862963

Thanks so much, alpenrose!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass, Golden Pass and SBB app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.