Swiss Travel Pass – route upgrade to first class

• Vivteosk
    Participant
    6 posts
    20 September 2022 at 8:11:12 #828385

Hi

Can I check if it is possible to buy a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass and just do a route upgrade to first class for:

1. Interlaken Express from Lucerne to Interlaken

2. Bernina Express

Any idea what is the cost for each upgrade and whether its more cost effective to just buy the first class?

What does the first class entail – is it only for express trains or all trains and cruises?

Appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks

Vivien

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    20 September 2022 at 12:31:31 #947101

Hi Vivien,

. Welcome to MySwissAlps.

When I went 4 years ago, I purchased the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass, 2nd class. I did upgrade to 1st class for the Glacier Express only. The cost was one-half of the difference between 1st and 2nd class seat reservation. I only did that because it was basically a whole day of traveling and thought it may be nice and comfortable. The day before I was on the Bernina Exp (bus from Lugano, train to St Moritz via Tirano). Basically there was no difference other than the seating configuration (2 and 2, as versus 2 and 1 in 1st class). I’m not sure how long you’re going for, or when, but I was very happy with 2nd class for the whole trip. I was there in September and it wasn’t quite as crowded as in the summer months, and, too, because of the seat reservations on the “Express” lines/routes. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the ride Lucerne/Interlaken, as I’m not sure it would even be worth the effort to try since it doesn’t require any seat reservations anyway.

As far as what it entails, I believe there is only a difference in classes on the trains and boats, but not on the buses. Some other folks may have differences of opinions and desires, but I would recommend the 2nd class personally, having traveled on all of the ”Express” train routes (I did the “Grand Train Tour” of Switzerland). Obviously it’s your choice to make. I enclosed a picture of the Grand Train routes if you have any interest in it. You can see more info by going to Grand Tour Of Switzerland on your phone or computer. Plus there is a ton of info on this site as well. I hope this helps you in some way and I hope that you have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2022 at 22:11:01 #947102

Personally I think ‘piecemeal’ upgrades for one or two journeys are pointless. If you can afford the First class pass I suggest you go for that. I always find travelling first class on Swiss trains more relaxed than 2nd.

First class can be nice on boats and main line trains

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 5:54:52 #947103

Hi Vivien,

you can read about the differences between 1st and 2nd class here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass.

I usually take the 2nd class.

Ildiko

suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    25 September 2022 at 20:58:34 #947104

Hello all,

An incredible site with invaluable information to help plan my trip to Switzerland! Just a couple of questions regarding the class upgrade on Bernina Express

I have a STP 2nd class and would like to upgrade to 1st class. Do I reserve a seat in first class?

How, when and where do I pay the upgrade difference? And finally

Do I need to actually purchase a ticket for Bernina, or do I just walk on and into my reserved seat?

Thanking you in advance,

Louise

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 September 2022 at 4:55:11 #947105

Hi Louise,

Yes, if you wish to travel in 1st Class on the Bernina Express, you need to book a 1st Class seat.

With a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass, all you need is to pay the upgrade which is the difference between a 1st and 2nd class ticket. You can do this at the train station before your trip.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2022 at 5:52:19 #947106

Anna, it’s even less:

To travel in 1st class with a 2nd class STP/STPF, passengers must pay half of the difference between the standard fares for the route.

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 September 2022 at 11:45:49 #947107

Hi Trainliner,

Thanks for the clarification.

Anna

suitcase
    Participant
    70 posts
    26 September 2022 at 12:24:36 #947108

Thanks Anna and Trainliner for your speedy responses.

Just a bit unsure of the actual ticket purchase. Do I need to actually purchase a first class ticket (on the Bernina Express website) and pay difference at railroad station or not purchase a ticket , show up and just pay difference at the railroad?

Also, can I pay the difference at any railroad station or SBB prior to boarding date?

Thanking in advance, Louise

Anna
    6382 posts
    26 September 2022 at 12:37:54 #947109

Hi Louise,

There’s no need to purchase a ticket if you have a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass.

Just show up early at the train station and pay the difference at the counter. Be sure to show your Swiss Travel Pass before making payment.

Regards,

Anna

Vivteosk
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 September 2022 at 12:49:56 #947110

Thanks Daniel for the detailed explanation and the map. This info is very useful to help me make a decision. Decided that I will take skip the upgrade to 1st class then. Thanks much.

Vivteosk
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 September 2022 at 12:53:29 #947111

Thanks lidiko for sharing the link to the page showing the difference between 1st and 2nd class.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – route upgrade to first class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.