Ticket for Schilthorn with Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2019 at 17:28:07 #823422

Hello. What a great source of information you have in this website. Thank you. I’m buying Swiss Travel Pass for whole country for 2 people from your recommended sellers. I understand that STP gives us the freedom to hop on hop off in areas of validity. I downloaded the map.

Regarding Wengen to Schilthorn (free). Do I need to get a (separate free) ticket at any point in Stechelberg or Grutschalp or Murren? Do I need to present my Swiss Travel Pass at any point before going up to Schilthorn? Or could I pretty much hop on in to the trains and cable cars from Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn and back with my Swiss Travel Pass?

Thanks again. I’ve been reading myswissalps and have an almost 3 week Switzerland Itinerary crafted.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 August 2019 at 21:08:47 #920168

Hello Zass,

You will need to get a (free) ticket for the Schilthorn cable way at either Stechelberg or Mürren.

Most cableways require you to visit the ticket office to show your Swiss Travel Pass prior to boarding. Even the ones that are free with STP.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:03:47 #920169

Hi Zass! Thanks for your kind words. Correct, the Swiss Travel Pass allows hopping on and off until Stechelberg or Mürren; you’ll have to get a (free) access ticket for the cable car there. This information might be useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse. Let us know in case you have any further questions when shaping your itinerary!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:18:52 #920170

Hi Annika,

The link you provided says (amongst other things) “Trips on routes that allow free traveling. You can just board any train, bus, boat, etc. on such routes. You do not need a ticket;”. It doesn’t quite handle the current and unfortunately temporary Schilthorn situation. 🤓

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:44:00 #920171

I’m well aware of that Rockoyster, but we prefer to add such general information and links not only for the topic starter, but also for future readers of any thread :-). Moreover, the page also explains one often does need discounted or (free) access tickets for mountain transportation, directly under the text you quoted.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:54:19 #920172

You win. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 14:58:26 #920173

Thank you so much Annika and rockoyster.

Really appreciate your info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 18:11:27 #920174

Does the Half Fare card do the same thing as the Travel Pass when going to places like Schilthorn or even going up to Klein Matterhorn?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2019 at 20:17:48 #920175

Schilthorn is “free” with the Swiss Travel Pass and 50% discount with the Swiss Half-fare Card. With the Swiss Half-fare Card you always need to buy tickets for all modes of transport.

See:

• The thread ‘Ticket for Schilthorn with Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.