Swiss Travel Pass valid for Domodossola-Visp?

• Amanda9
    Participant
    2 posts
    27 June 2022 at 16:03:12 #827616

Hi community! I am confused with the STP validity map as I see a dotted line from Domodossola upwards to Visp and I was wondering if the STP covers that part of the train travel? I am traveling from Lugano to Zermatt and would be going via train from Lugano-> Locarno-> Domodossola-> Visp-> Zermatt. My confusion also stems from the fact that Domodossola is in Italy…

It is also my first time in Switzerland and I read posts that with STP one may just hop on a normal train without buying/reserving tickets. In other words, find your own seat and if there aren’t any seat available, one would have to get off and wait for the next train? Sorry for the noob question! Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 June 2022 at 17:30:14 #943683

Hi Amanda9,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is indeed valid from Domodossola to Visp. The dotted line on the map denotes a railway route inside a tunnel (in this case it’s the Simplon Tunnel). You can find the validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Your understanding of the STP is correct. You can use it for unlimited rides on public transportation throughout Switzerland. There is no need to reserve seats unless you are taking one of the panoramic trains. You simply get on board, choose a seat and enjoy your ride. If you can’t find a seat, perhaps wait for a little while until one becomes available. Or you can take the next train like you mentioned.

Regards,

Anna

Amanda9
    Participant
    2 posts
    28 June 2022 at 1:52:40 #943684

Thank you very much Anna! Appreciate your help! Have a great day!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2022 at 22:42:59 #943685

Domodossola is in Italy but for historical railway geography reasons it is valid, Swiss railway tickets are valid because the railway through the famous Simplon tunnel from Brig is owned and operated by Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass valid for Domodossola-Visp?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.