About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Swiss Travel Pass valid for Domodossola-Visp?
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Swiss Travel Pass valid for Domodossola-Visp?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Amanda9
Amanda9
2 posts
Jun 27, 2022 - 4:03 PM

Hi community! I am confused with the STP validity map as I see a dotted line from Domodossola upwards to Visp and I was wondering if the STP covers that part of the train travel? I am traveling from Lugano to Zermatt and would be going via train from Lugano-> Locarno-> Domodossola-> Visp-> Zermatt. My confusion also stems from the fact that Domodossola is in Italy…

It is also my first time in Switzerland and I read posts that with STP one may just hop on a normal train without buying/reserving tickets. In other words, find your own seat and if there aren’t any seat available, one would have to get off and wait for the next train? Sorry for the noob question! Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Anna
Anna
3669 posts
expert &
Jun 27, 2022 - 5:30 PM in reply to Amanda9

Hi Amanda9,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is indeed valid from Domodossola to Visp. The dotted line on the map denotes a railway route inside a tunnel (in this case it's the Simplon Tunnel). You can find the validity map here: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Your understanding of the STP is correct. You can use it for unlimited rides on public transportation throughout Switzerland. There is no need to reserve seats unless you are taking one of the panoramic trains. You simply get on board, choose a seat and enjoy your ride. If you can't find a seat, perhaps wait for a little while until one becomes available. Or you can take the next train like you mentioned.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Jun 28, 2022 - 7:27 AM by Anna
Amanda9
Amanda9
2 posts
Jun 28, 2022 - 1:52 AM in reply to Anna

Thank you very much Anna! Appreciate your help! Have a great day!

1960man
1960man
4082 posts
expert
Jun 28, 2022 - 10:42 PM in reply to Amanda9

Domodossola is in Italy but for historical railway geography reasons it is valid, Swiss railway tickets are valid because the railway through the famous Simplon tunnel from Brig is owned and operated by Switzerland.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 30% discount
Available until 31 October 2022. Book 6 months ahead.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/swisstravelpass

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022