Swiss Travel Pass vs point to point tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2017 at 14:15:26 #813367

Hi,

I’m going to visit Switzerland for 4 days. Flying to Zurich then train to Lucerne on Oct 15. Then train to Interlaken the following day. On day 3, a day trip to Lauterbrunnen/Muren from Interlaken. On Day 4, train to Zurich.

i calculated the total point to point full fares seem to be cheaper by about 100CHF. I am just not sure if i took the final cable car to Muren into consideration.

having rhe Swiss Travel Pass would be convenient. But is it hard to buy point to point tickets from the station? I plan to use the SBB app to purchase tickets, but I’d like to have a backup in case I can’t use the app.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    26 September 2017 at 17:59:07 #870258

Hi betcee, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Calculating fares can be a pretty challenging process. We explain about this at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass. One common mistake is to use the prices that are first displayed in the timetable. These are discounted fares though, displayed by default as most Swiss travelers have a Half-Fare Travelcard that allows them to buy discounted tickets. You’ll have to double these amounts to know what you’ll be paying without a pass. Moreover, you’ll have to take each and every trip (train, boat and cable car rides as well as museum visits) into account. Did you include any day trip from Lucerne on day 2? Pilatus and Rigi are for free with a Swiss Travel Pass, for example. And indeed, the Swiss Travel Pass offers flexibility and ease of use.

In case you do plan on buying regular tickets: you can either get them from manned desks or from ticketing machines, which have instructions in English too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2017 at 22:28:21 #870259

Hi Annika

thank you for your advice and suggestion to visit Mount Pilatus. I did not realise that the Swiss Travel Pass can also cover some of the transports in my day trips. I now plan to go to Mount Pulatus while in Lucerne then to Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn while in Interlaken. Gimmelwald looks like a very nice village to walk around so I am now torn between Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. The attraction for Jungfrau is the opportunity to touch snow! Can i do this in Schilthorn?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 7:56:25 #870260

Hi betcee,

It is possible for Schilthorn to have snow in mid-October – it is hard to know with the weather. I think there is a touch of snow on Schilthorn now (on the buildings roofs at least) as you can see on their webcam.

I would decide on the mountain to go to the night before. Check out the webcams for each mountain to see what the conditions are like.

I would personally choose the mountain with the best (clear/sunny) weather at the time you are going – but it depends on how badly you want to touch that snow!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2017 at 12:27:30 #870261

Thank you for the advice Lucas.

I must say this website and forum is so helpful. Thank you very much to all of you!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass vs point to point tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.