Swiss Travel System changes in 2018

Swiss Travel System changes in 2018

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Arno
Arno
10762 posts
expert &
Jul 6, 2017 - 7:18 PM

Hello travelers,

If you're already planning your trips for 2018 you might be interested in the below changes, as of January 1, 2018

Changes for Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex holders:

• The Schilthorn cableway will be free (currently 50% discounted)
  • The Stanserhorn funicular and cableway will be free (currently 50% discounted)
  • The Engelberg to Brunni cableway will be free (currently 50% discounted)
  • The Kräbel to Rigi Scheidegg cableway will be free (currently not included)
  • The Pilatus cableway and cogwheel train will be 50% discounted (currently free)
  • The Schynige Platte cogwheel train will be 50% discounted (currently free)
  • The FIFA World Football Museum in Zurich will be free (currently not included)

New pass prices:

• Swiss Travel Pass 2nd class: CHF 225 (3 days), CHF 270 (4 days), CHF 398 (8 days), CHF 485 (15 days)
  • Swiss Travel Pass 1st class: CHF 358 (3 days), CHF 429 (4 days), CHF 631 (8 days), CHF 765 (15 days)
  • Swiss Travel Pass Flex 2nd class: CHF 259 (3 days), CHF 310 (4 days), CHF 445 (8 days), CHF 532 (15 days)
  • Swiss Travel Pass Flex 1st class: CHF 412 (3 days), CHF 493 (4 days), CHF 706 (8 days), CHF 840 (15 days)
  • Swiss Transfer Ticket 2nd class: CHF 154
  • Swiss Transfer Ticket 1st class: CHF 247
  • Swiss Half Fare Card: CHF 120
  • Swiss Family Card: free

Attached is the validity map for 2018. The current version can be found here: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Last modified on Dec 22, 2017 - 7:56 AM by Arno
Please login to see the attached documents
maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
578 posts
top member
Jul 8, 2017 - 12:50 AM

Hi Arno

Thanks for that information. Wonder why they keep changing what's covered and what's not? But armed with your info it might be a good idea to do Pilatus this year while it is free and save Schilthorn for 2018!!

Have they also published cost of 1st class passes?

Maggie

Arno
Arno
10762 posts
expert &
Jul 8, 2017 - 7:19 AM in reply to maggiehorswell

Hi Maggie,

I think Pilatus got more visitors than they could cope with. Which is kind of expected if joining the Swiss Travel Pass free routes :-) I wish many more would be included for free. That would also eliminate the issue of a few attractions being overrun.

I'll add 1st class prices to the above post later today.

cev
cev
1 post
Jul 26, 2017 - 10:38 PM in reply to Arno

Q1. Can you buy a swiss pass in 2017 (with the lower prices) for use in the spring (May) of 2018?

Q2. is it likely that some good deals on the swiss pass will surface in 2018 as they did last year?

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
Jul 27, 2017 - 12:40 PM in reply to cev

Hi Cev and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. It depends on the retailer. It's best to check the ones listed here when you're ready to buy. Some do not offer passes for 2018 yet. Some will offer them for the current price, so that's attractive. Some will offer them for the new price so there's no advantage to buying now (except for exchange rates possibly but no one knows that for sure).
  2. We do expect promotions again for 2018 but don't know what the offer will be like. Our promotions page will show promotions once anything is available.

Cheers!

Last modified on Jul 27, 2017 - 8:07 PM by Arno
Arno
Arno
10762 posts
expert &
Aug 31, 2017 - 9:43 AM

Hi everyone,

The cable cars to Stanserhorn, Rigi Scheidegg and Brunni will also be free next year! I updated my original post above.

Arno
Arno
10762 posts
expert &
Dec 22, 2017 - 7:57 AM

Another update: the Schynige Platte railway will be 50% discounted next year. I updated my original post and also attached the latest map for you to download.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018