Swiss trip end Nov/early Dec 2019 (8-10 days)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 4:13:52 #819439

Hi, I am planning for a trip to Switzerland for the end of the year 2019. There are a total of 2 families (4 adults, two 12 years old boys and 3 younger children, youngest is 7 years old).

We are arriving at Zurich and I am planning to head to Lucerne as our base or the trip. Here are some of the places we plan to go from Lucerne and would like to seek your opinions if the following is feasible as day trips:

1) Day trip to Zurich

2) Day trip to Bern

3) Day trip to Mount Titlus

4) Day trip to Jungfraujoch

5) Golden Pass to Montruex and visit Chillion Castle and return to Lucerne

6) Day trip to Basel and head to France

I am also thinking of base in Lucerne for 4/5 nights in Lucerne and then change hotel when we head to Montruex, and stay in Montruex area for 2 nights and explore Lake Geneva areas. Any recommendations?

Will there be any winter activities for the kids such as snow sledge at the mountains? At first, we are also thinking of staying at Zermatt for 1 or 2 nights. Maximum we can stay in Swiss for 10 days.

Awaits your reply 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 10:05:51 #901904

Hi BenT and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’d try to arrive in Switzerland in December as there will be more going on (more snow in the mountains, more cable cars open for ski season, Christmas markets etc). November is a month I’d avoid generally speaking. http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

I think Zermatt would be a more fun city to stay at in the winter rather than Montreux.

To plan your trips from your hotel to another town or a mountain, you can use the Swiss railways timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable (it gives the quickest routing by default).

I’d look at a Swiss Travel Pass for getting around Switzerland. Each adult needs to have one, but you can add-on the free Swiss Family Card (5 kids per card I believe) which gets all the kids free travel wherever you go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 11:34:40 #901905

Thanks Lucas for your prompt reply!

Unfortunately, we can only travel during that period. Will arrive Zürich on 25 Nov morning.

will look at your suggestions to Zermatt and see if it can be planned into my trip!

Thanks!

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    11 January 2019 at 21:40:15 #901906

We’ve been in Zermatt in late November. It’s true that some of the stores, restaurants and hotels are closed but there are places that are open. I would make contact with various places to see who is open and try to secure reservations well in advance. We stayed at a gorgeous rental place which was discounted for the time of year and had wonderful dinners and lunches at some fantastic restaurants. We took the “bubble” cable cars to the Klein Matterhorn and the train up the Gornergrat–great experiences. A couple of us snowboard and had a great time since we had plenty of snow (in 2017). Have fun and enjoy yourself!

• The thread ‘Swiss trip end Nov/early Dec 2019 (8-10 days)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.