Swiss Trip(Help required with Itinerary selection)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2013 at 13:24:19 #806217

Hi,

First of all thanks a lot for the awesome information on this website and the forums, indeed very helpful. We are a group of 4 adults and 2 toddlers planning a trip to Switzerland 2nd week of June, 2014. Our focus is to enjoy the famous Swiss mountain scenery, snowcapped mountains on top of beautiful green valleys. We have been told that the Bernese Oberland should be our destination. Keeping that in mind I have put together few itineraries. Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated.

Question about Day 1: A common component of all three itineraries is reaching Wengen from Paris via Montreux/Goldern Pass route (I know its faster directly but I want to really see the Golden Pass route). Is this doable in a day if we leave Paris early or would it become too hectic?

Itinerary 1 (Focus on Bernese Oberland)
    Day 1
    Leave Paris and arrive in Lauterbrunnen via Montreax/Golden pass line
    Stay: Wengen (Could be Murren, Grindewald or Lauterbrunnen too)
    Day 2/3/4/5
    Basically we have the following 3 activities planned for 4 days in the Jungfrau region
    1. Jungfraujoch
    2. Rent a car from Interlaken and go do some of the passes (Furka/Grimsel/St. Gotthard/Nuefen/Susten). Looking at the map it seems they are doable in a day from Interlaken (don’t worry, our kids are used to long drives in the car :-))
    3. See the surrounding villages of Jungfrau (If we do the Jungfraujoch, do we need to go up to the Schilthorn as well?)
    Stay: Wengen
    Day 6:
    Take train to Zurich stopping in Lucerne
    Stay: Zurich
    Day 7: Leave Switzerland

Itinerary 2 (Add Zermatt to the trip)
    Question: The main question here is whether its really worth adding Zermatt to the trip or should we take our time in the Jungfrau region. Based on what I have read so far the Zermatt region is not as green as Jungfrau but the view of the Matterhorn (if we are lucky) is more awesome. I am having a very tough time deciding whether to include Zermatt or not
    Day 1
    Leave Paris and arrive in Jungfrau via Montreax/Golden pass line
    Day 2/3/4
    1. Jungfraujoch
    2. Rent a car from Interlaken and go do the passes (Furka/Grimsel/St. Gotthard/Nuefen/Susten). Looking at the map it seems they are doable in a day from Interlaken (don’t worry, our kids are used to long drives in the car :-))
    3. See the surrounding villages of Jungfrau (If we do the Jungfraujoch, do we need to go up to the Schilthorn as well?)
    Day 5/6
    Go to Zermatt
    Go to Klein Matterhorn or the Gornergrat (suggestions ?)
    Stay: Zermatt
    Day 7: leave Switzerland

Itinerary 3 (Enjoy the scenic train rides of Switzerland)
    Not sure if this option would become too long(boring) for the kids
    Day 1:
    Leave Paris and arrive in Lauterbrunnen via Montreax/Golden pass line
    Day 2/3:
    – Jungfraujoch
    – See the surrounding villages of Jungfrau (If we do the Jungfraujoch, do we need to go up to the Schilthorn as well?)
    Day 4:
    Take train from Wengen to Brig
    Take Glacier Express from Brig to Chur
    Stay: Chur
    Day 5:
    Take Bernina Express to Tirano and back to some place in Switzerland and stay overnight there (may be St. Moritz?)
    Day 6:
    Enjoy St. Mortitz and take train to Zurich
    Day 7:
    Leave Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 December 2013 at 5:42:21 #839424

Hi DanTae,

Here are some thoughts on the options you have posted:

• Traveling from Paris via the Golden Pass line can be done. Take a high speed train to Geneva or Lausanne and continue from there. The timetable shows the details, so that may help you decide whether this is too much for you.
    • Don’t try to do all 5 passes in one day. You can combine Susten, Furka and Grimsel in a day from Interlaken. The others are too far I would say. Just take your time and take breaks. As a driver you need to focus on the road so you can only enjoy the scenery during breaks. You can do these passes by bus too. That won’t cost a lot as you need some kind of rail pass for your plans anyway, and the kids travel for free. Check the pass conditions before you go as passes can be closed due to snow, even in mid June, although it’s rare.
    • Zermatt is absolutely beautiful and different from the Jungfrau region. Whether it’s worth the trip is up to you. I would personally do so if I has more nights to spend there. You do need good weather in order to enjoy the views. If it rains on your one day there, you won’t see anything.
    • Once the Bernina Express has reached Tirano there’s a Bernina Express bus to Lugano, via Italy. You could spend the night there and travel to Zurich the next day.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2014 at 10:30:10 #839425

Hi Arno,
    Thanks a ton for your extremely helpful response. It has given me some really useful tips.

Special thanks for pointing out the Postbus route. For the life of me I couldn’t find that on the Postbus website. I don’t think we will have the time to do both. Which route would be more scenic if we have to choose one?

Meiringen–Grimsel–Oberwald–Nufenen–Airolo–Gotthard–Andermatt–Susten–Meiringen
    or
    Meiringen–Susten–Andermatt–Furka–Gletsch–Grimsel–Meiringen

Happy New Year!

Best Regards,
    DanTae

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 January 2014 at 8:23:35 #839426

Hi DanTae,

You’re welcome! Both routes are really beautiful if the weather’s good. I would recommend the second one. The first one is very long for one day. Too long if you ask me.

• The thread ‘Swiss Trip(Help required with Itinerary selection)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.