Swiss Weather

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2010 at 8:27:13 #803825

We will be spending a week in Brig and a week in Lauterbrunnen this August/September hiking the Aletsch Glacier, Saas Fee, Zermatt/Gornergrat and Jungfrau areas.

Our plan is to schedule a morning and an afternoon hike of no more than 3 hours each (most days).

What would be the best source for daily weather reports? Our two concerns are rain storms and sudden changes in temperature. We understand the concept of clothes layering; do we need to layer everyday?

Would a hand held weather station (barometer) be beneficial?

Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 May 2010 at 11:48:20 #831275

Hi Jooch,

Good weather websites are Meteo Schweiz and SF Meteo. If you don’t have internet available, the TV weather forecast on SF1 might help (around 19:45 after the 19:30 news broadcast). Even if you don’t speak German, the maps they show are pretty clear.

Regardless of the predicted weather, I always take along at least one extra layer of water proof clothing in addition to the clothes I actually expect to wear. That can come in handy not only for rain, but for unexpected cold sections of your route as well.

I’ve used a hand held weather station a couple of times, but that turned out to be quite useless. Air pressure will drop with the altitude. When you go up a mountain, the air pressure drops quicky. The device will interpret that as a fast approaching thunder storm. So it will predict bad weather on most of your trails. I’m not sure if there are devices available which take the altitude into account as well, and do a better job that way.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    22 May 2010 at 13:44:18 #831276

The tourist office in Lauterbrunnen will have/post a daily weather forecast. Haven’t been to Brig so don’t know if there’s an office there that does the same.

• The thread ‘Swiss Weather’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.