What to do in Zurich, Lucerne, Geneva for 4 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 20:40:03 #810969

hello

you guys are so helpful.. thank you.. just want your advice on the following

we arrive into Zurich, seeing the city then staying the night, heading to Lucerne, doing a day trip to Mt Titlis and not sure what else to do as staying 2 nights then getting a train to Geneva and not sure what to do there then we fly out to Venice.. any ideas on the places I mentioned and should we try get to Grindelwald for a day? or Montreaux

thanks heaps

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 March 2017 at 21:36:47 #859620

Glad to help Alexus2323,

With only a few days available I would stay in Lucerne as there’s so much to see just in that region.

If going to the Western part of Switzerland I’d go to Montreux, which is near the Alps. There are no mountains close to Geneva.

In either case there is no need to fly to Venice. It’s easier and more scenic to travel by train. It only takes 6.5 hours from Lucerne. There is a direct train from Montreux which takes 6 hours. You’ll find tickets here.

The above links help you to find accommodation and things to do in and around the towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 21:52:36 #859621

thanks Arno

if I get the train to Venice would the Swiss half fare cover for that trip? or would I have to get a euro pass

thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 21:55:43 #859622

so if I chose the train from Montreaux would Montreaux be a better place to visit then Geneva as was only going to Geneva to get the flight to Venice really

thanks 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2017 at 16:46:18 #859623

Hi Alexis2323,

The Swiss half-Fare card would be applied for the Swiss portion of the trip. You can buy a ticket from one of these sites and use your half-fare card for a discount.

I think Montreux is quite scenic and you would be happy staying there over Geneva. There are certainly a lot of activities in the area to see.

Regards,
    Lucas

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 March 2017 at 22:19:11 #859624

Alexis,

It is difficult to advise you on Geneva without knowing your tastes, and where you stand in the <action – deckchair> bracket.

In terms of landscape, the major attraction in Geneva is the lake. You can stroll on the lakefront and in nearby parks, enjoy the view including the Mt Blanc if the weather allows it. You can be ferried from one bank to the other, or to a downtown place, by small passenger boats called Mouettes. Less known are hiking paths along the Rhone river. Enjoy an icecream when you get tired.

If culture is your thing, there are plenty of museums on various topics. You could also be interested by the “international Geneva”, take a guided tour in the UN Building (not so exciting in my opinion).

Most tourist tours would take you to the Red Cross Museum and the Reformation Monument.

If you want to have a flavor of the way the locals live, just walk around in the Plainpalais or Eaux-Vives districts, or just around the main rail station. Eat French, Italian, Lebanese, Portuguese, or whatever, maybe even Swiss!

• The thread ‘What to do in Zurich, Lucerne, Geneva for 4 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.