Switzerland – Austria -Summer 2011

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 December 2010 at 19:26:34 #804075

Please advise as to the best pass regarding our trip to Switzerland and Austria in May 2011. We are traveling two adults – one teenager age 15. We will be flying into Zurich and want my husband wants to travel on all the amazing trains of switzerland but I also have a teen ager who wants to do some fun things. We want to base ourselves about every 3 days in one area to enjoy the towns and attractions We want to see the Matterhorn, go to Pilatus and Lucerne area. Any other advise would be wonderful and appreciated. In looking over the forums – we have to purchase our passes/tickets before we arrive in Switzerland? My husband wants to do the Glacier Express but that is eight hours – is that round trip or can you take just half way.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2010 at 11:11:37 #832050

You don’t say how many days you will be in Switzerland
    I would suggest your 3 days be spent as follows:
    Luzern: Pilatus, Rigi (covered with the pass).
    Golden Pass to Interlaken
    Interlaken: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn
    Golden Pass to Montreux then train to Visp and Zermatt
    Zermatt: Gornergrat and cable car to Klein Matterhorn
    Glacier Express to Chur
    Chur: Berninia Express to Tirano and return (covers the remaining part of the Glacier), Arosa
    Chur back to Zurich

By taking the Glacier Express only to Chur you eliminate 2 hours. You can cover almost all of the remaining Glacier Express route the next day by taking the Berninia Express to Tirano and back. The only thing you would miss is the short run from Samedam to St. Moritz (15 minutes).

You teenager will enjoy hiking in Interlaken and Zermatt. It is possible to Ski all year on the Jungfraujoch and Klein Matterhorn in Zermatt.

You will need to get reservations in advance in the scenic trains. Be sure to get VIP reservations on the Golden Pass between Interlaken-Zweisimmen-Montreux. You will sit in the very front of the train ahead of the engineer. It is a great trip.

Dick

• The thread ‘Switzerland – Austria -Summer 2011’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.