Switzerland by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2011 at 2:30:15 #804571

Hello!
    We plan to travel by car and have accommodation from 26.07 up to 4.08 infollowing places: 3 nights in Arosa, 3 nights in Sarnen and 3 nights in LaChapelle d’Abondance. We would like to see Jungfraujoch, Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, but also Pilatus mountain, allthe beautiful places around Geneva lake, Bellinzona aso. Which is the mostconvenient pass we should get, considering that we will need it mostly forcable cars, boat, local trains? I have to add that we will travel together except to the trip to Pilatus, from Zurich, which will be done by only one of us.
    Thank you very much for your answer!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2011 at 11:31:41 #833753

Hi Charminna
    Off the locations you have mentioned, I cant see which would be convenient to do Matterhorn. For Matterhorn, you need to go to Zermatt. Zermatt is car free – you leave your car at Tasch and take a 15 minute train to Zermatt. Most hotels in Zermatt are at walking distance from the station and hotels also provide pick up by electric car. I must say that it is beautiful small town.
    Near Arosa you will find St. Mortiz which is also a very beautiful town.
    I suppose you can do Jungfrau from Sarnen – I would still stay closer to Interlaken than in Sarnen. You need to go to Lauterbrunnen to get the train to Jungfrau – there also a couple of amazing waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen.
    Pilatus is from Luzern to I suppose Sarnen would be convenient for that. I would recommend Titlis over Pilatus. You can go from Sarnen to Engelberg to get the ride up to Titlis.
    Geneva Lake, Lausanne, Chamonix Mont Blanc can all be covered from Abondance. Note that Abondance actually is across the border in France.
    The best card for such a trip where you will be using your car a lot is the Swiss Half Fare Card. You can order it online or buy it from most train stations in Switzerland. It costs 110 CHF pp and gives you a 50% discount on all public transportation in Switzerland including the mountain trains, cable cars, ferry and boat rides etc.
    Hope this helps
    Ciao
    JD

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2011 at 5:26:33 #833754

JD, Thank you very much for your answer which is very helpful. I will buy the Swiss Half Fare Card!
    Ciao,
    Carmen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2011 at 22:00:20 #833755

We are also wanting to travel by car around Switzerland. Our plan is to rent a car in Basel and drive to Luzern and then on to Lauterbrunnen. What is the best route to take from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen? Can you get there via A4 from South Luzern?
    Linda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2011 at 23:42:27 #833756

lindaf, from luzern, instead of taking motorway, drive along the north shore of the Brienz lake. Its very scenic.

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 August 2011 at 6:20:12 #833757

Hi Linda. I too would opt to drive along Sarnen, Lungern, the Brünig Pass and the north shore of lake Brienz, as tsk1979 suggests. That’s a beautiful route. It’s actually not the national A4 motorway, but a regional road with the number 4.

• The thread ‘Switzerland by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.