Switzerland-Germany Pass and overnight traveling

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2010 at 21:37:47 #804073

I’m planning on traveling to Switzerland in January. I have no plans as far as what I am going to do exactly. I am thinking about buying a Switzerland-Germany Rail Pass for 6 days. I was wondering if it is possible/common to buy a pass, travel to a new city each night while sleeping on the train, and explore the city during the day. By doing this I would not have to stay at hostiles and save time by traveling while I sleep. Is this possible to do each night for 6 nights?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    16 December 2010 at 10:26:37 #832044

Hello Sager, and welcome to the forum! It’s not very common to travel by night train in Switzerland. Distances are relatively short and travelling between cities doesn’t take that long. For example: the trip from Basel in the north to Zermatt in the south of Switzerland takes about 3h30. However, several night trains crossing the border to neighbouring countries do exist. There are night trains available between Germany and Switzerland, Italy and Switzerland, and so on. Within Germany several night trains run as well. The CityNightLine website may help you out. Please check the Swiss timetable as well. If you enter your destination and departure station, you’ll get to see which connections and types of trains are available.

Affordable accommodations and other tips for a budget stay in Switzerland can be found here. You may want to review the information on the Eurail Germany-Switzerland Pass as well.

I hope this gets you started! Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2010 at 3:40:38 #832045

There are many overnight German trains running , outside summer months you will have a good chance of finding a place for a good sleep in the train.
    Don’t forget the 7 pm rule, if your overnight train departs after 7 pm, you ONLY have to use the FOLLOWING day of your pass.

Many trains run to Basle from Germany ! German trains are comfortable, especially the ICE, but regarding punctuality, they are nothing like Swiss trains !

• The thread ‘Switzerland-Germany Pass and overnight traveling’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.