Switzerland in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2012 at 7:11:05 #805124

Hi,

We are scheduled to go to Switzerland in April. I have few questions –

1. We have a SWISS PASS. In order for us to reserve seats for Golden Pass train from Montreux to Inerlaken, which of the below links should we use ? The first one says $78/hr and the second one is $19 due to Swiss Pass

If not these two links, how can I reserve seats without giving my credit card number ?

http://www.raileurope. com/us/point_to_point/ ptp_results.htm?execution=e1s1&resultI d=48971179&noLock=1
    http://www.raileurope.com/us/ point_to_point/ptp_res ults.htm?execution=e1s1&resultI d=48971216&noLock=1

2. We want to go from Interkaken to Rapperswil, Switzerland (Lake Zurich). Which train should we take ? Does this also require prior reservation or can we get it from the station ? From Rapperswil, we want to go to Zurich airport. Again, which train should we look at ?

3. How much does the trip to Jungfraouch – top of europe cost (appx) We have different websites giving us different numbers – Does that require prior reservation as well ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2012 at 14:28:36 #835591

One more question – how long is the trip to Junfraouch – as in, how many hours ? My wife is 9 weeks pregnant – will it be safe for her to undertake this trip ?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 March 2012 at 3:39:08 #835592

[quote]bobby82 said: One more question – how long is the trip to Junfraouch – as in, how many hours ? My wife is 9 weeks pregnant – will it be safe for her to undertake this trip ?[/quote]

Hi bobby82,

You can use use the timetable to see how long the trip to Junfraujoch will be.

Maybe it’s best to seek medical advice to know whether it will be safe for your wife to go up to Jungfraujoch. Follow this link to read more about medical recommendations.

Have a nice stay!

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 March 2012 at 5:09:36 #835593

Hi bobby82,

If you go to the seat reservation page and press the button “Go to website”, you’ll get to the correct page. An alternative booking link can be found on the seat reservation page if you scroll down a bit. You don’t need seat reservations for Rapperswil or the Jungfraujoch. Jungfraujoch prices are listed on the website Wandermann referred to. You get a 25% discount with your Swiss Pass for Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch, and 50% discounts on other sections.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2012 at 9:07:15 #835594

Thank You for your reply.

Are cruises available for Lake Thun in April last week ? If yes, does that need advance reservation. I believe the train ride from Interlaken to Lake Thun takes 35 mins – correct ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2012 at 9:16:25 #835595

Do we require a prior seat reservation or buy tickets online through raileurope.com for trains from Paris to Geneva and Geneva to Montreux ?

Does our SWISS PASS cover or give us any discount for the train from Geneva CFF to Montreux ?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 March 2012 at 9:51:07 #835596

[quote]bobby82 said: Thank You for your reply.
    Are cruises available for Lake Thun in April last week ? If yes, does that need advance reservation. I believe the train ride from Interlaken to Lake Thun takes 35 mins – correct ?[/quote]

Hello bobby82,

– You can check cruises on lake Thun on this website.
    – No reservations are necessary.
    – A train ride from Interlaken to Thun will indeed be about 30 min. But you can start a cruise from Interlaken (near Interlaken West railway station) as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2012 at 11:49:51 #835597

Hi,

Is there a direct train from Lucerne to Rapperswile ?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    16 April 2012 at 13:43:28 #835598

Hi bobby82,

Again, check the Timetable and you’ll find all possible connections between Lucerne and Rapperswil on the day you want to make this trip.
    After filling out Lucerne and Rapperswil, you’ll see in column 5 if and where you’ll have to change trains. (I guess you are looking for a connection without the need to change trains?)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2012 at 8:54:03 #835599

Yes, correct. Most of the trains have a halt in Zurich and we might have to change the trains. We are reaching Lucerne at 9.40 AM via golden Pass.

1. Is it possible to go be able to see Lucerne in 3-4 hours and possibly take a 2 PM train to Rapperswil and cover Rapperswil till 6 pm and go to Zurich?
    2. Since we will have a huge suitcase with us, will it possible to put it in a locker in both Lucerne and Rapperswil train stations ?
    3. Also since we are going from paris to Geneva by train (TGV), where do we get our SWISS PASS stamped ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2012 at 9:02:28 #835600

we speak only English – Do you think we can face communication problems on the train station/restaurants and suggest buying any books ? What is the common language everyone speaks there ?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    18 April 2012 at 12:13:26 #835601

Hi bobby82,

1. Lucerne is a beautiful city and you’ll arrive in the center of the city. The Kappelbrücke (Chapel Bridge) is near to the station where you’ll arrive, don’t miss it. For other information see this link. In a few hours you’ll be able to see at least some of the nice parts of this city.
    2. You won’t have a problem leaving your suitcase at either Lucerne or Rapperswil railway station. There are luggage lockers or there’s a luggage department where you can leave your suitcase.
    3. Do you allready have your Swiss Passes, and if so, is not indicated on the Passes yet what will be the first day of validity as well as the duration of validity? In that case you will only have to show it to the train personnel if they ask for it. If you are in doubt about this I would suggest you to ask the train personell as early as possible.
    4. Most probably, you won’t have any communication problems railway stations, in trains, hotels and restaurants. You’ll start in the French speaking part of Switzerland, and proceed to the German speaking part. I don’t think there is a need to buy books. (By the way: Italian is the third main language of this country)

Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Switzerland in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.