Jungfrau in May 2018 where to stay, what to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2017 at 21:26:44 #813579

My 2 sons will be traveling in Switzerland next May the 17th-20th. They are 22 and 19

I have booked their air to Zurich. They want to go to the Top of Europe one day and do some hiking the next.. Should they stay in Grindlewald or Wengen? Any other suggestions? Would like something to do at night as well. Mid May is iffy for weather we know but that is the only time – they are meeting the rest of us in Italy after that. Also any suggestions for hikes in that area would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2017 at 7:31:17 #871370

Hi Budwigboo and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We have a list of towns and activities (with hiking options) that one can do in the Jungfrau region here – all towns will give good access to the Jungfraujoch (top of the world). Wengen or Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen will all work. Though if they want some night life they would be better off in Interlaken.

Are they buying a rail pass for their 4 days? They qualify for a Youth-Swiss Travel Pass that can be bought for 4 days and cover most of their travel (there is only a discount up to Jungfraujoch).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2017 at 11:48:49 #871371

thank you! It all looks amazing (hence my struggles with what to do and where to stay with only 2 or 2.5 days for them) Their one desire was to see Switzerland – and since I am the one this week with research time I am doing the groundwork.

If you were a 22 year old american guy what would you want to do with 2 extra days in Switzerland that time of year? :)) and which city? Interlaken was recommended also but I think they might want to stay higher up with only a few days. Unless you think Interlaken is better and just hop on a train to go hike ?

Also, yes on the Swiss Travel Pass. I saw that and was planning on it after mapping things out and looking at costs. Is there a Swiss/Italy pass? We will be in Italy 10 days after that on trains at least 3 times city to city.

Thank you for your help. I have researched many opinions and sites and finally just decided to ask my specific questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2017 at 19:20:04 #871372

Well its a toss up as to where to go. The smaller villages like Wengen or Lauterbrunnen are much more picturesque and closer to the mountains/in the mountains…but if they need a selection of restaurants or pubs to enjoy each night they would be better off in Interlaken. Interlaken isn’t too far from the smaller villages either (use the timetable to plan out trips) so it can still work as a base town.

Another option would be Luzern (click here for activity ideas and nearby mountains) or Zermatt (expensive but the Matterhorn is always cool).

There is the Eurail Select Pass for 2 countries that could work as well. The discounts / free trips aren’t as extensive in Switzerland as the Swiss Travel Pass but combined with Italy trips it could be the best option in the end.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    31 October 2017 at 3:36:40 #871373

Hi,

It’s always a compromise. Do you stay somewhere with a bit of night life, where you can hang out with other people who are doing amazing things and pick up a few tips, or do you head further into the mountains so you can wake up to the sound of cow bells with the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau so close they tower over you? Personally, I figure I can go the pub here at home, but the Alps are something special.

On the other hand, when I was 20, I found meeting and sharing the experience with other people on the same journey as I was , made for a fantastic experience. So maybe Interlaken would be the go? If they want somewhere fun to stay, check out Balmers. It’s a hostel that caters to a younger crowd. There are other hostels/hotels, but Balmers is the famous one.

http://www.balmers.com/

Have Fun!

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2017 at 18:04:20 #871374

Thank you for taking the time to reply! YES that is the dilemma And having to check in and out of places and deal with your bag also takes time when you are already limited. They are going to stay at the Ostello hostel in Milan one night so that will be a fun experience. I really think they want the mountains. I am thinking Grindlewald as a base to hike and do the falls hike and go to the top of Europe. But Inerlaken has some fun things too. :)))))

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2017 at 20:36:35 #871375

Hi Budwigboo-

Keep in mind that high altitude hikes above about 1500 to 2000 meters will still be blocked by snow in the Jungfrau region, and that May is the middle of “low” season..between skiing and summer hiking. Many lifts ( cablecars) and mountain railroads do not start up until late May..typically around the 23rd. Some hotels and restaurants are closed. The “Summer” season starts around June 15th +/-.

Interlaken is at a much lower altitude than the mountain villages, and so it and the Lauterbrunnen Valley will probably be free of snow. The train to Jungfraujoch runs all year. Grindelwald, at 1000 meters above sea level is intermediate in altitude, and will likely be snow-free….or only have rmains of Winter on the ground.

Finally, and I think you realize this frnm your comments, if the Jungfrau and the high mountains are surrounded by clouds, a trip to the Jungfraujoch will be a very expensive way to see the insides of clouds.

The weather changes rapidly, so don’t buy tickets until the night before. Or, in mid-May, there won’t be serious lines. Buy tem the morning that they go up. Generally, clouds tend to gather around the Jungfrau in the afternoon more than in the morning. Check the weather with the tourist office and the hotel/inn/hostel before buying.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2017 at 21:34:49 #871376

Hi Budwigboo-

<<” I am thinking Grindlewald as a base to hike and do the falls hike and go to the top of Europe.”>>

Not sure what you mean by the falls hike? If you mean to hike along the floor of the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Lauterbrunnen or Wengen are better bases than Grindelwald.

Some of the falls close during the Winter…check for specifics on the web.

Also, although this report focuses on Wengen, it has useful information about other towns and about hikes. However, information on hikes must be tempered with information on time of year, altitude and weather. Not to mention lots of snow still on the ground in well shadowed higher locations.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim/page/3

Also, if you want to check out altitudes, use this map and turn “Hiking Trails” on and off in the menu, for information on trails. The blue ones are technical climbing, by the way.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 39178.41&N=1161888.14& zoom=4

This one is more useful for general travel, but does not show altitudes. Under Points of Interest in the menu, turn “Traffic” on, and select Mountain transport and/or railways:

map.search.ch/?pos=641048,162168&z=32

I have zoomed in far enough to show the rail lines.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Jungfrau in May 2018 where to stay, what to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.