Switzerland quiz 4 – land transfer between cantons

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 April 2020 at 5:55:22 #825495

No land swap this time, just a one-way transfer of land from one canton to another. Fill in the eight blanks: ______ is a commune presently in the canton of _____ , which after all kinds of enabling referenda, will be transferred to the canton of ______ in _____, with the result that the latter canton will see an increase of ______ square metres in its area and the former a decrease in area of this same amount. In previous years, the residents of this commune rejected by referendum the idea of fusing with the nearby commune of ______. The language spoken by the majority of the inhabitants of this commune speak _______, which probably explains why this commune did not consider joining the canton of ______.

If this is too easy, I will probably follow up with a few other questions about this commune.

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    15 April 2020 at 4:53:40 #932021

Almost four days have passed and there is not even a nibble on this one, so I guess I have to give a hint. The commune I am looking for is an exclave and can be found on the attached map.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2020 at 13:11:22 #932022

Hi Peterli,

I am not sure, is it about the Broye District (Canton of Fribourg)?

Ildiko

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    16 April 2020 at 5:35:56 #932023

Hi Ildiko,

You are in the right area of the map but not close enough. So here’s another hint: GREEN

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 April 2020 at 0:42:01 #932024

Here are the answers to Switzerland Quiz 4

Clavaleyres is a commune presently in the canton of Berne, which after all kinds of enabling referenda, will be transferred to the canton of Fribourg in 2022, with the result that the latter canton will see an increase of 950,000 square metres in its area and the former a decrease in area of this same amount. In previous years, the residents of this commune rejected by referendum the idea of fusing with the nearby commune of Münchenwiler. The language spoken by the majority of the inhabitants of this commune speak German, which probably explains why this commune did not consider joining the canton of Vaud.

This tiny (less than 1 square kilometre) commune is circled in red on the attached map. Not only will it become part of the canton of Fribourg, it will also fuse (merge) with the much larger and neighbouring commune of Morat (Murten), with which it has for a number of years already enjoyed inter-communal services.

Bonus question: Looking at the same map, what is the name of the Fribourg commune that is entirely surrounded by the canton of Berne ?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    20 April 2020 at 4:56:34 #932025

Still waiting for an answer to the bonus question, but in the meantime, I forgot to mention that the French name for Münchenwiler is Villars-les-Moines.

Anna
    6401 posts
    24 April 2020 at 6:09:00 #932026

Wallenbuch?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 April 2020 at 23:57:38 #932027

Yes, you have the correct answer. Up until 2003, Wallenbuch was a separate commune of the canton of Fribourg entirely enclaved by the canton of Berne. See red arrow on the first of the attached maps. In 2003, Wallenbuch fused with some other Fribourg communes and the name of this fused entity is Gurmels (or Cormonde in French). The second map attached shows the “new” Gurmels, so that we now have the situation of part of a Fribourg commune separated from the rest of itself by Bernese territory. On this second map there are arrows to show the locations of Clavaleyres (green arrow) and Münchenwiler (brown arrow). Switzerland is certainly a country with many interesting borders, both external and internal.

• The thread ‘Switzerland quiz 4 – land transfer between cantons’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11140 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.