We are travelling to Switzerland and our itinerary is as follows:

– Arrive into Geneva mid morning
    – Train to Interlaken directly from Geneva airport
    – 2 nights in Interlaken
    – Morning train to Lucerne
    – 3 nights in Lucerne
    – Morning train to Geneva (Golden Pass)
    – 2 nights in Geneva

We have 1 full day in Interlaken and were trying to decide between Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. Any suggestions? Also, we are going to arrive in Interlaken late afternoon and were looking for ideas on short excursions.

While in Lucerne we were planning to do Pilatus & Titlis. Do they both offer the same views? Can we skip one of them? What about Rigi? Also, we have half a day in Lucerne right after we arrive from Interlaken and were thinking of either spending it in Zurich or Bern. Any suggestions on which one is a better choice? Are there other options or recommendations?

On our way back we are planning to go to Montreux before we go to Geneva (Golden Pass). Any suggestions on what we can do in Montreux for half a day? The next day we are planning to visit Gruyeres (cheese factory) & Broc (chocolate factory). Would that take a whole day? If not, are there other trip suggestions in that area?

We have an 8 day 1st class Swiss Pass.

Apart from the questions above, I would love to get any other recommendations/suggestions from you.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2011 at 8:32:05 #833700

Good Morning,

Sounds fantastic.

We did the Jungfraujoch and loved it !

We caught the earliest train ( our base was Wengen) got off at Kleine Scheidegg ( you must change trains here) and had a fantastic breakfast. This was recommended to us as you benefit from the early train discount and you can relax and enjoy breakfast. We ate a restaurant across the tracks – it was the best breakfast we had in Switzerland. I believe it was called EigerNordwand.

The Castle Chillion is worth a visit if you are in Montreux as well as just walking along the Lake.

We also did the Chocolate/ Cheese Day and capped it off with a walk in the vineyards in Lavaux with a glass of wine.

Enjoy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2011 at 22:33:26 #833701

Thanks for the feedback, Mandy. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on my other questions?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    31 July 2011 at 7:20:01 #833702

Hello,

Depending on when you are going you might also consider a trip to Schynige Platte. Starting from Wilderswil (not far from Interlaken) by cog railway, which is an adventure by itself (wonderful views!), and at Schynige Platte you will have the asthonishing view at Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. There are possibilities for hikes, information can also be found on the given link.

Did you alreay check the day trips on this site?

Wishing you a great trip,

Annika
    7124 posts
    1 August 2011 at 7:53:45 #833703

Hi training55. As for your stay in Lucerne: I’d go up the Rigi if I were you. The views up there are great, the train ride is beautiful and last but not least: it’s entirely for free with your Swiss Pass! Pilatus and Titlis offer different views. The Pilatus allows you to even see the Bernese Alps – in clear weather of course. And it can easily be reached from Lucerne. The round trip by boat, cog railway and cable car will make a great day trip.

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    2 August 2011 at 21:19:15 #833704

To give a boost to the other side of the valley, I can tell you we very much enjoyed Schilthorn, especially having breakfast there! After spending some time on the top of the mountain you can stop off at Murren on the way down and have a lovely walk down to Gimmelwald and have a delicious lunch on the terrace at the Pension before taking the cable car back down to the valley floor.
    Also, do not miss the walk to Castle Chillon from Montreux.The promenade was beautiful and the castle unbelievable.(Be sure to rent the audioguide). We spent all morning on this excursion. Enjoy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2011 at 0:56:29 #833705

My son and I plan on visiting Ballenberg on September 9 and staying the night near Mägisalp prior to the Chästeilet on September 10. We are on a tight budget. Any recommendations for a hut bunk-room or dormitory close to Mägisalp or closer to Meiringen?We will probably want to stay in one place for the nights of September 9-11. The Haslital accommodation pdf is good information, but I thought someone might be able to recommend someplace with character.This has been a very useful website for planning our trip to Switzerland, and this is my first posting. Thank you, Jeff

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 August 2011 at 6:20:09 #833706

Hi Jeff, and welcome! Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with such accommodations near Meiringen. Although you checked accommodations already, I’d like to mention these group accommodations and campings – just in case you didn’t notice them before. You may like the pages on budget holidays as well.

By the way, it would be best to create a new topic for your question, rather than attaching your question to an existing thread. This way, it will be noticed by other people more easily.

I hope you’ll succeed in finding a nice place to stay overnight!

• The thread ‘Switzerland Trip Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.