Traveling in Switzerland with a toddler

• jyothymenon
    Participant
    8 posts
    21 November 2018 at 5:59:27 #818991

We had a lovely trip! Many thanks to the myswissalps team! The information and guidelines that I got here greatly helped us.

Just wanted to add a few points for all those who are visiting Switzerland with babies/toddlers.

1. Stroller – we decided to take the stroller with us at the last minute and thank god for that. Majority of the places that we visited had wheelchair access and that meant stroller-friendly too. Just look for the wheel chair/differently abled sign in train coaches, attractions etc and follow the directions. We took the stroller to Titlis (till the exit to the snow point, parked it near a shop and took it on our way back) , Rigi Kulm, Schilthorn, Lauterbrunnen, Ballenberg, basically everywhere 🙂

2. Diaper changing – The washrooms are bigger in the coaches marked with the wheelchair sign. There was a diaper changing table in the washroom of the ♿ coach in the Luzern – Interlaken express. However I am not sure if it is there in the rest of the coaches. There are baby rooms in most of the places or a changing table in the main restrooms.

3. Family services area in Zurich airport – Excellent play rooms for kids with all the facilities – changing tables, restrooms for the families, kettle, microwave oven etc

http://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers -and-visitors/airport-services-en/layover-and-lounges/family-services-en

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2018 at 8:29:43 #899333

Hi jyothymenon!

Thanks so much for the quick report on traveling with a young child in Switzerland.:)

Very useful information for other parents!

Hope your trip was all that you were hoping for.

Happy future travels. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2019 at 15:35:36 #899334

HI Jyothi,

We (me & wife) are planning to travel to Switzerland along with our 16 month baby. Could you pls provide the itenary you guys followed, so that I could plan accordingly. Wanted to ensure its comfortable with a baby.

We are planning an 8 – 9 day trip in Apr ’19.

Thanks

Ansu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2019 at 5:33:25 #899335

Hi Jyothi,

Thank you for your sharing. We are planning to go in May with our 3 years old boy.

We are planning to go Rigi, Schilthorn, First, Matterhorn and etc. Is that good to bring stroller along? What do you mean parked at the shop? We are worry to push the stroller along when hiking.

Is kettle available in most accommodations in Zurich? Can get hot water easily when outside? Need the hot water to make milk for my boy. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2019 at 8:33:56 #899336

Hi Ansu,

Have a look at Jyothi’s trip post here for more details on their plans: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lucerne-interlaken-zurich-02-oct-07-oct

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2019 at 8:37:11 #899337

Hi Huichinlai

Jyothi parked the stroller near a shop/store at Titlis and left the stroller there. Often I see strollers parked outside stores or at the cable car building and left there for a few hours while families walk around with the kids when they can’t take the stroller farther (snow).

You mostly won’t have issues with your stroller going up mountains but the smaller the better for you!

You’ll want to check with the hotel you book about kettles being available. Not sure about getting hot water outside though…

• The thread ‘Traveling in Switzerland with a toddler’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.