Switzerland trip planning with infant

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2017 at 19:07:18 #812804

Hello, I plan to travel to Switzerland in the first/second week of September for 4/5 days with my son (8 months) and mother (63 and not able to walk a huge deal). I want to take my mum on a very special train trip but will this be OK for my baby (the altitude?). If not, would it be an option to have babysitting etc at a hotel? We would like a baby friendly, nice quality hotel with dining options for the evening. Any recommendations on where to stay and go/see? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2017 at 6:00:33 #867689

Hi Sapna19 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If the focus of your trip is a scenic train ride then I would have a look at the 4 panoramic trains in Switzerland. Decide which one appeals to you the most and base your trip around taking that train.

The Golden Pass route and Gotthard Panorama Express train both begin in Luzern and end in Montreux and Lugano respectively. The more famous panoramic trains: The Glacier Express and Bernina Express are typically started in Chur and travel to Zermatt and Tirano (Italy) respectively. These two trains briefly reach an altitude of 2000 meters but it should be ok for your infant as you aren’t at the altitude for long (of course check with your doctor to be sure!)

For other ideas on where to go you can browse through our Swiss town page to see what may interest you and our activity page to see what there is to do that appeals to you (everyone is different).

I don’t know which hotels in Switzerland may offer babysitting services. We do have a list of hotels for each town (on the town link above) and you can contact them to see if they could offer it.

I hope that helps get you started with your trip planning! Let us know if you have more questions.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 10:26:00 #867690

Hello Lucas thank you so much that is very helpful! Will it be easy enough to stay in Interlaken and get one of these trains? And is it an option to take just a day trip or few hours from base in Interlaken?

Thank you 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 13:20:16 #867691

Hi Sapna19,

Interlaken is on the Golden Pass route so that’s no problem. The trip to Montreux would be about 3 hours (you must go via Zweisimmen and change trains there to follow the Golden Pass route on a panoramic train). The train in Zweisimmen needs to be labeled MOB on the timetable if you want a panoramic train and not a regional train. The return should be closer to 2.5 hours on regional train.

Read more about the route and trains here.

Interlaken is a convenient base for train trips around Switzerland yes – was there somewhere specific you had in mind other than the scenic train noted above?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 12:55:33 #867692

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for all the information that is very helpful. I just basically want 4 day trip where we can do scenic train and boat trips without too much stress of changing and walking etc.. because of the baby/stroller but also because of my mother who is not super mobile. I had heard of Interlaken which is why I asked, but if you think we could find a better base, then I am open to that for sure! I would just like somewhere I can find a baby friendly hotel and where it will be easy enough to get to with a baby. What do you think??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 16:18:34 #867693

No, Interlaken is a fine base for you. As I said good train connections and a good selection of hotels as well – Lucerne is also a good option. It is best to decide what you want to do when you are here and use the timetable to see if Interlaken is a good location for you.

Both towns have easy access to trains (and both are on the Golden Pass route) and both have lakes for boat cruises.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip planning with infant’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.