Taxi or walk -Nyon train station to ferry dock?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 22:35:54 #815943

HI, all! I’ve tried to find an answer to this question online but had no luck so I thought someone here would know: is there a taxi stand outside Nyon station? Our train arrives in Nyon at 11:14 and the ferry for Yvoire departs at 11:35. I understand it’s about a 15 min. walk between the two which doesn’t leave much time to catch the ferry if we get lost so a taxi might be the best idea.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2018 at 0:43:54 #885086

Hi Stacy-

<<15 min. walk between the two which doesn’t leave much time to catch the ferry if we get lost so a taxi might be the best idea.”>>

It is really hard to get lost. Walk downhill.. When you get to the lake, the pier will be obvious. It is about 1/2 a km.,so you should be able to make it ion 10 minutes of easy (not slow)walking.

Here is a map:

map.search.ch/?pos=508055,137602&z=25 6&poi=verkehr

I’d consider walking around not through the old city.

I note from checking the icons on that map that the bus stop nearest the boat pier is for #811 bus. The 811 bus runs from the train station. Often, the timings are synchronized. Not always.

On a typical day there is a bus leaving at 1120 and arriving at Staion Usine de Gaz ( look at the map and mouse over the icons for names) at 1122. That is about 100 meters from the pier.

To understand the schedule for sure, we need to know the day of the week you are traveling. And, the date.

We really enjoyed Yvoire. I suspect that you will, too.

Take a camera.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 0:56:49 #885087

Thanks, Slowpoke! Bus 811 looks like it will work great and also get us back up to the train station when we return. You all at MySwissAlps are the greatest!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2018 at 1:06:34 #885088

<<“Thanks, Slowpoke! Bus 811 looks like it will work great and also get us back up to the train station when we return. You all at MySwissAlps are the greatest”>

Thanks. You are more than welcome.

But, what you can do next time is take advantage of is the tools that let you navigate Switzerland.

That is why I showed you how to do it.

Then, you can thank the proper source..the Swiss Transport System. Not the Forum members.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 1:06:37 #885089

One more question: it looks like the bus station is to the left when exiting the train station. Is that correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 1:31:37 #885090

Yes, I did that to check what other times would work depending on our plans. But as you demonstrated: “Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he eats every day.” Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 6:07:25 #885091

I think it’s on the right (Place de la Gare) when you’re coming from Geneva. It will sign posted and it’s a small train station.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    14 May 2018 at 7:45:00 #885092

Hi Stacy,

Yes, there are taxis.

Now if you don’t have too much luggage and are fit enough I suggest you walk. If your train is on time (which is likely), then you have 20 minutes which is sufficient. Take rue Viollier, then rue de la Colombière (look at the map provided by Slowpoke in msg #2). The shipping pier (or embarcadère) will be on your left when you reach the lake. Ship tickets can be bought on board. Taxi or bus will not be much faster.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2018 at 8:23:22 #885093

Hi Stacy-

I have tended to start with Mapsearch.ch for transport stops and for a first look for accommodations and restaurants. I have used it for many years, and old-habits die hard. It is not exhaustive on accommodations/restaurants, but it does a pretty good job. I am sure that Google maps can do the job, and probably has tools and extras that might make it the map of choice at some point. For example, Rockoyster has pointed out that Google Maps now shows track/platform numbers for many train stations, to supplement the SBB Trafimage maps that still seem to be needed for a few large stations.

The things that I like about Mapsearch.ch are:

1. -If you zoom in to zoom level 32, the train tracks really pop up visually.

2.- In the menus, under Points of Interest, then Traffic, you can turn on (or off) layers which show station stops. Mouse over them and the proper name appears. Then, you can use that name to search in the SBB ( or, in this case, in the Romandie, the French version of the initials – CFF) timetable. Works for bus stops. That is how I found the name of Station Usine de Gaz . If you click on the station icon, a near term brief timetable appears.

3.- Oddly enough, under Gastronomy, you can find also hotels and inns. You can get names.

That is helpful for finding accommodations near stations. And, with a name, you can search for the hotels’ websites and reviews. Google maps makes that a bit easier, perhaps, but I like the quick visual display in Mapsearch.CH, which can be turned on and off.

The problem with Mapsearch.CH is – no altitudes! Once you have traveled around Switzerland a bit, you’ll note that walking is an acceptable form of public transportation, and that hills don’t matter much to a Swiss walker. They do to my sore knees and the altitudes can really affect the weather. So I need altitudes.

The Switzerland Mobility (Schweiz Mobil) website can do that:

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en&land=wanderlan d&route=all&bgLayer=pk &layers=Wanderland&sea son=summer&resolution= 2&E=2507675&N=1137492

My personal preference is the Swisstopo map (“geo.admin.ch map”) from the Federal Land Office:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=true,false&E=25 07204.17&N=1137665.04& zoom=9

Perhaps a bit of overkill, but that map allows you to turn on many things. Hiking trails and transport stops are the ones that I use most often. The hiking trails are even color-coded for difficulty.

Either of those two show that he altitude near the train station is 403 meters, and the lake level is 373 meters above sea level.

So, if you wish to walk it, you can get a sense of the hill you have to climb.

Personally, without luggage, I’d walk it as 1960 man suggests. On the way back, if I were not in a hurry,I’d detour through the old town.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2018 at 8:58:11 #885094

<<“One more question: it looks like the bus station is to the left when exiting the train station. Is that correct?”>>

Open the map that I linked you to, switch to aerial view, and zoom way in.

The map agrees with Chantal. The icon for the train station is not placed precisely. Place de la Gare or nearby is where the buses will stop.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 16:26:00 #885095

Thank you all for such great advice!

• The thread ‘Taxi or walk -Nyon train station to ferry dock?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.