Tell Pass for Lucerne and must see places

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 19:04:36 #810064

I plan to travel into Zurich on Nov. 2 and head down to Lucerne for 4 days. A few questions:

1. Do I rent a car or take public transportation?

2. Should I get the Tell Pass for the Swiss Flex Card?

3. What are the “must see” places in Lucerne

4. Any recommendations for lodging for a family of 4 (kids are in there 20’s

5. Is 4 days in Lucerne too many should I take a side trip to Bern?

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 September 2016 at 8:56:20 #855827

Hi bobmoloneygr, welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. You don’t need a car. You would only be able to use it for part your trips as the best spots can’t be reached by car. This page might interest you: myswissalps.com/ carversustrain.

2. I’m not sure what you mean by “Tell Pass for the Swiss Flex Card”, but just a Tell-Pass (the winter version) would be fine if you stick to the covered area: myswissalps.com/ tellpasswinter.

3. Please see myswissalps.com/ lucerne/activities.

4. Once you are sure you want to stay in Lucerne, please check the hotel section of the Lucerne page. If that does not help you out, please feel free to post that question to the Accommodation forum and add some additional information.

5. That’s definitely not too much. You can spend 3 weeks in the area without seeing everything. In November, the options are a bit more limited (high altitude hiking trails will be closed), but still there is plenty to see. Be sure to check the timetable for trips you intend to make. A day trip to Bern is an option as well as it’s just an hour away by train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2016 at 16:01:34 #855828

Thanks for the quick response. Very useful information.

I have one more question. I know the Tell Pass switches from Summer to Winter November 1 and the price drops. Do thing shut down November 1. Am I better going the last few days of October?

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 September 2016 at 9:37:58 #855829

Hi bobmoloneygr,

Earlier is better, also weather wise (on average, no guarantees). There is no fixed closure date for mountain transport, but in general things start to close from mid October. You’ll have to check the timetable I referred to for specific trips you may have in mind.

• The thread ‘Tell Pass for Lucerne and must see places’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.