Temps on Mt. Stanserhorn beginning of June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2015 at 18:44:05 #807108

Hi, we are visiting the Lucerne area, have the new Swiss Travel Passes, and pre-booked our time on the Cabrio (for 1/2 price because of the pass) to ascend Mt. Stanserhorn. It will be on June 3rd. My question is, although obviously the weather cannot be predicated, what would one usually expect temperature wise in the beginning of June? Just for packing….would a fleece type jacket over a tee, with possibly a light windbreaker likely be sufficient for the few hours at the top, or should we pack our down jackets? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2015 at 7:07:12 #842628

[quote]debramckee said: Hi, we are visiting the Lucerne area, have the new Swiss Travel Passes, and pre-booked our time on the Cabrio (for 1/2 price because of the pass) to ascend Mt. Stanserhorn. It will be on June 3rd. My question is, although obviously the weather cannot be predicated, what would one usually expect temperature wise in the beginning of June? Just for packing….would a fleece type jacket over a tee, with possibly a light windbreaker likely be sufficient for the few hours at the top, or should we pack our down jackets? Thanks![/quote]

It’s been a long while since I’ve been up there, but this temperature chart for late April suggests to me that even today you would not need the down. It also points out that you can have disagreeable weather.

mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ Stanserhorn/ forecasts/1898

If I were planning it, I’d want more than a tee shirt and a fleece+windbreaker, however. As is the usual advice, a few more layers would be useful. Then , if you don’t need them, you can take them off. You might have a brilliantly sunny day, and no wind, and get by in short sleeves.

I’d be wearing a long sleeve shirt and have a sweater in my back pack, in addition to the fleece+windbreaker. I have to add that Ive seen people walking on and near the Brienzer Rothorn in shorts, a tee shirt, and (of course) their boots, when I had on my fleece+windbreaker. They were definitely in the minority….;-)

The winds can be sufficiently strong to impact travel, and delayed us once we were up there, when they had the old cable car. Had to wait to come down.

The Cabrio should be more stable with the two cable design, but you could certainly get a wind-chill.

You can always step inside the restaurant.

Other than the restaurant, what will you do that takes several hours? There is not a whole lot to do up there, IIRC. Use SwissTopo and the aerial view, combined with the topo view. Choose the map at the right of the home page, and zoom well in to high magnification to get a look.

If you take the trails, any distance at all, you should be prepared for weather changes. I can’t remember what they are like, but I’m sure that they are NOT broad, smooth and easy. 😉

swisstopo.admin.ch/ internet/swisstopo/ en/home.html

The map for this nearby walk will give you some clues about trails, but Switzerland Mobility does not seem to have a hiking entry for Stanserhorn.

wanderland.ch/ en/local-routes/route-0570.html

I liked the views, as far as the Jungfrau, and of course of the Rigi, Pilatus, and much of lake Luzern.

• The thread ‘Temps on Mt. Stanserhorn beginning of June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.