TGV Lyria Paris to Switzerland discounted tickets

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 12:22:09 #876452

Yes, it is possible a ticket to a Swiss border town like Basel is cheaper than a ticket all the way to Zurich check. if you have a Swiss Travel Pass then you are covered on the train for the portion of the trip within Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 13:25:43 #876453

Hi,

I intend to book tickets from Paris to Geneva, and also STP.I request info 1) To which border town I have to book?

2) On the website of oui.sncf, it asks for any discount or rail pass, there in scroll down menu, I cannot find STP but there is GA. Can someone tell me if they are same

3) The tickets to Lausanne are cheaper, doe not TGV pad. Through Geneva? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 13:49:55 #876454

Hi

It means in the same train I can complete the journey.

When I ve to activate my Swiss pass.

Purchased for 4 days starting from 14.06.18

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 15:28:03 #876455

Yes, exactly. You don’t need to leave the train (if it continues on to your destination from the border town). Just show them the Swiss Travel Pass when asked once you’ve crossed into Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 15:30:50 #876456

Hi Chala,

The GA allows Swiss residents to get some discounts on travel on trains in other countries. In your case for international tickets you just need to buy a ticket to a Swiss border town like Geneva.

However if the ticket to Lausanne is cheaper go with that ticket. Technically your Swiss Travel Pass would cover the trip between the border and Lausanne but if the ticket is cheaper than just going to the border than buy it. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 16:10:01 #876457

Hi Lucas,

Can we ticket to Laussane and deboard in Geneva?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 17:06:14 #876458

Sure! If the train stops in Geneva. No one would stop you. 🙂

Direct trains to Lausanne do not go via Geneva though. You’d get off the train in Lausanne and take another to Geneva. This will take longer than a direct train from Paris to Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 18:41:45 #876459

Thanks Mr Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 10:56:16 #876460

Thanks Kucas.

Hi can you suggest me how I should make 5 days plan in Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 12:33:53 #876461

Hi Nitinntpc,

An itinerary for you will depend on what is important for to see. Once you know that, and have some ideas you can post a new thread here and write up a rough itinerary or ask more specific questions. 🙂

Here are a few links to get you started:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 4:07:52 #876462

Hi, I need to know if the Swiss transfer ticket will apply to my travel plans.I am taking tgv from paris to go to Zermatt, but do i then use the swiss transfer ticket when i get to geneve? and then what are my next steps from geneve, do i buy more tickets to get to zermatt?

From Zermatt I plan to fly to Amsterdam, can the Swiss Transfer ticket be used for the trains I will take back to Zurich in order to get a flight to Amsterdam? what is the nearest airport to use from Zermatt if I am planning to fly to Amsterdam?

My travel dates is Paris -Zermatt April 24-27, then 27th, fly to Amsterdam.

Thanks so much.

Jamie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 8:59:20 #876463

Hi Jamie and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So for the Swiss leg you can get the Swiss Transfer Ticket and it would be valid from Geneva all the way to Zermatt. No other tickets required. From Zermatt, the 3 closest airports would be Geneva, Zurich or Milan in Italy.

The Swiss Transfer Ticket would be valid to Geneva airport, Zurich airport or as far as Domodossola if you go to Milan. You must always take the most direct train with the Swiss Transfer Ticket (as noted on the timetable when you search for connections). Read more about how to use the Swiss Transfer Ticket here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 0:28:10 #876464

Hello Lucas, thanks for your advice. Can we use the Swiss transfer ticket from Zermatt to Zurich airport if the timetable says 1 change? What did you mean when you said take the most direct train in this case?

Do I need to reserve seats in advance for my trip from Geneve to Zermatt and from Zermatt to Zurich on those trains?

Jamie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 10:10:36 #876465

Hi Jamie,

Yes you can use the Swiss Transfer Ticket. The most direct train / route means the shortest operated route between place of departure and arrival. When you use the timetable it will give you this route. Sometimes you will have to change trains on the most direct route as well.

There’s no need to reserve your seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 23:32:28 #876466

Thanks that’s helpful.I bought my Swiss transfer ticket already.

When looking at the train timetable, do I just enter Zermatt or it needs to be specific? I am going to Zurich airport and want to catch a flight around 14:00. Should I ask my hotel how far they are from the main train station in Zermatt?

Jamie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 6:43:01 #876467

Hey Jaime,

There is only one train station in Zermatt – so you would enter “Zermatt” to “Zurich airport” on the timetable and at the time and date you want.

In your case you probably want to arrive at the airport between 11:00 and 12:00 and you can select an arrival time on the timetable instead of a departure time.

You can use the Swiss Transfer Tickets on any trains that are listed.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The thread ‘TGV Lyria Paris to Switzerland discounted tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.