By boat to the Beatenberg region

By boat to the Beatenberg region

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jayy123
Jayy123
74 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 10:24 AM

Hello!

Wanted to know more about the beatenberg region. Is it worth seeing this place? How would it be if I travel via boat from spiez to beatenberg?

Also, there are two cable car pathways shown near the beatenberg region, one is the neiderhorn, which one's exactly under it? I've attached the screen shot of the map. And do give your reviews about the peaks.

Thank you!

Jayy123
Jayy123
74 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 10:26 AM

Here's the attachment, sorry!

Please login to see the attached documents
Jayy123
Jayy123
74 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 10:30 AM

Also, I read about the beatus caves there. That and the views attracted me to this place. So wanted to know more about the caves as well.

Arno
Arno
10769 posts
expert &
Apr 30, 2017 - 7:40 PM

Hi Jayy123,

There's no boat directly to Beatenberg as it's up on a slope, but you can get off the boat at Beatenbucht. Take the funicular from there, and finally switch to the gondola to reach the village. This is all covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. It's a nice ride, and you can get another gondola up to the Niederhorn for wonderful views on Lake Thun and the Bernese Alps (50% discounted by Swiss Travel Pass).

The caves are on the lake, well below the village. To be reached by boat, or by bus from Interlaken West or Beatenbucht.

Jayy123
Jayy123
74 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 8:56 PM

Thank you so much, Arno!! 🙌

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4758 posts
expert
May 1, 2017 - 1:06 AM in reply to Jayy123

HiJay123-

I do not want to discourage you from seeing the caves if they interest you..

However, in the many times I have visited the region, I have always preferred to go up rather than under. I have saved the caves for a rainy, cloudy day.

Perhaps that is because I have visited some other very spectacular caves in the USA (Carlsbad Caverns) and in Belgium in the Ardennes (name escapes me.)

My point is that the "above ground" scenery is so spectacular and so unique to Switzerland that I have never gotten around to visiting the caverns. On the other hand, there are lots of caves to visit around the world. When in Switzerland, I prefer to see things that are hard to see elsewhere.

Purely a personal perspective.

Slowpoke

Jayy123
Jayy123
74 posts
May 1, 2017 - 5:14 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hey slowpoke!

Thanks so much! I'll keep that in mind for sure 👍

Brahms
Brahms
320 posts
top member
May 1, 2017 - 8:11 AM

[off-topic] The caves in the Ardennen (Belgium) are the "Caves from Hann".

We have also visit the caves in the Beatusberg. Very good for a rainy day. It is about 15 minutes walk from the boat. The gaves visit is a guide tour.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4758 posts
expert
May 1, 2017 - 8:17 AM in reply to Brahms

<<"[off-topic] The caves in the Ardennen (Belgium) are the "Caves from Hann".">>

Thanks, Brahms.

Slowpoke

Jayy123
Jayy123
74 posts
May 1, 2017 - 2:19 PM

Thank you, @Brahms! 👍

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018