The Bernina Express from Tirano return

• Powelly_au
    Participant
    3 posts
    5 June 2018 at 5:41:09 #816454

My husband and I would like to do the BEX from Tirano return as we are staying at Lake Como in July. Can we do the BEX and return by local train? Where do we go to St Moritz, Cher etc.? If we have to come back by BEX how long do we have between arriving and departing? Thank you in advance Cheers Lyndie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 June 2018 at 6:36:41 #887441

Hello Powelly au and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can go one way on the Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) and return on regular trains but what part of Lake Como are we talking about as your starting point? You will need to get to Tirano directly by train from Italy or by train to Lugano and bus to Tirano.

You’ll find the BEX timetable here.

Powelly_au
    Participant
    3 posts
    5 June 2018 at 8:58:06 #887442

Hi there, we have a car drive to Tirana do the train stay a night somewhere and then drive to Venice. Any thoughts. Great fast reply thank you. Cheers Lyndie

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 June 2018 at 9:15:19 #887443

Hi Lyndie, did you mean Tirano there? St. Moritz, Davos and Chur could all work for you:

Powelly_au
    Participant
    3 posts
    6 June 2018 at 1:00:22 #887444

Yes I meant Tirano seeing it is summer I am thinking of staying in Chur. Cheers

Lyndie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 June 2018 at 3:10:37 #887445

Hello Lyndie,

Now I get the picture.

I would take the local train to Chur via Landquart and then return on regular Bernina Express route. I think the timing would work better for you. Plus itgives you a bit more scenic variety north of Pontresina.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

You will need a reservation for the BEX (see link to BEX timetable in my earlier response) but not on the regular regional trains.

• The thread ‘The Bernina Express from Tirano return’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.