The Glacier Express as a day trip from Lucerne

• Jenner
    Participant
    30 posts
    7 June 2022 at 14:20:41 #827438

Hi dear,

I need help regarding my trip on Glacier Express from Chur to Brig.

I plan to travel from Lucerne to Chur, then from Chur to Brig. I will alight at Brig and from here I will take SBB train back to Lucerne on the same day.

From SBB website, there are a few of “Chur” stations, may I know which Chur station should I take?

Which route should I take to start my Trip… 1 or 2 ???

1. Zermatt – St. Moritz/Davos

2. St. Moritz/Davos – Zermatt

I’m confused over Glacier Express timetable. What is PE900*, PE904, etc… How to read the timetable?

For returing from Brig, again there are a few of Brig stations on SBB website, which station should i take to get back to Lucerne.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2022 at 20:12:39 #942994

Hi Jenner,

You can read about the Glacier Express route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere.

Simply use the station called ‘Chur’. That is the one you are looking for. Use the SBB timetable, and use Andermatt as a via station. Trains labeled PE (Panorama Express) are Glacier Express trains.

From Chur to Brig you need the ‘2. St. Moritz/Davos – Zermatt’ route.

I always use the SBB timetable as it is usually up to date. PE900 and PE904 are the numbers of the trains.

‘Brig Bahnhofplatz’ is the one you are looking for, but you can use just simply ‘Brig‘ as well.

On the way back you can travel via Lötschberg-Basistunnel and via Bern, that is the fastest route.

You can get your Glacier Express tickets and reserve your seats here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets. If you have a rail pass, the Glacier Express ticket might be free with it. Are you going to have a Swiss rail pass?

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2022 at 21:26:59 #942995

In Chur there is one main station ‘Chur’. In Brig the Glacier Express calls at a station in the street a short distance outside the mainline railway station.

For your planned trip, you would need to travel Luzern to Thalwil, change trains then go Thalwil – Chur

There are four Glacier Express services per day Chur – Brig (see my screenshot from the Swiss official timetable PDF). In practical terms you could connect conveniently with the 11.05 and 12.16 departures, for example to reach the 11.05, you can go:

Luzern 08.35 – Thalwil 09.14 / 09.21 Chur 10.43

On arrival at Brig, you then need to get an IC8 train Brig – Bern to IR15 Bern – Luzern

Jenner
    Participant
    30 posts
    14 June 2022 at 12:18:22 #942996

Hi dear,

I need some advise on Glacier Express

1. If I hv STP, what is the default class n route if I want Chur to Brig? Can I take Excellent Class Special from Chur to Brig?

2. How about Eurail Global pass? Work the similar ways as STP?

3. How to the seat booking for 4? Any direct link to share? Refunded if cancel?

Thanks.

Anna
    6279 posts
    14 June 2022 at 18:51:30 #942997

Hi Jenner,

To travel on the Excellent Class, you need a 1st Class Swiss Travel Pass. If you have a 2nd class STP/ticket, you need to pay for a seat upgrade which you can do at the station. The upgrade cost depends on the route.

This is in addition to the excellent class seat reservation, which you can book here. If you have a Eurail Global Pass, select Eurail instead of Swiss Travel Pass as your reduction option. The system allows you to choose your seats once you have specified you travel date and route.

In most cases, refunds are only issued for cancellations supported with a medical certificate. Best to contact the Glacier Express directly for further clarification. You can find the contact listed in the links under Information from other websites: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘The Glacier Express as a day trip from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.