Three mobile reception in Switzerland

Three mobile reception in Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 1:11 AM

I am traveling to Lucerne, Interlaken and Zermatt areas (along with the known touristy places in the vicinity). We have a Three mobile sim from UK (www.three.co.uk) and wanted to check if the reception for the carrier is good in Switzerland. The company's website seems to suggest that they have 3G coverage throughout Switzerland.

We intend to only use the phone for searching things on the internet as and when required (mobile data)and emergency calling. Let me know if anyone has used them in Switzerland.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3704 posts
expert
Apr 29, 2018 - 6:07 AM in reply to gamesteel

I guess it depends which network operator Three have a deal with in Switzerland. 4G coverage is pretty good all over the place so getting 3G is a bit of a let down. I had excellent experience with a Salt Prepay SIM which cost me CHF 30 for 26 days I was travelling. Daily downloads basically in-limited. The CHF10 initial outlay would cover your 8 day visit.

Also have a look at www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

How much will Three cost you?

Last modified on Apr 29, 2018 - 6:08 AM by rockoyster
gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 4:28 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks rockoyster.

Salt Prepay SIM looks really good to me as I can pay CFH 10 for my entire trip! Where can I grab a sim after landing at Zurich Airport any suggestions?

Three will cost me around USD 15 for my entire trip. More than the money, I am looking at a way to get instant connection after landing and I have a Three sim from my previous Europe visit.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3704 posts
expert
Apr 29, 2018 - 8:14 PM in reply to gamesteel

You need to go to a Salt Shop. And as luck would have it there is one in Zurich Airport.

Top left on the Salt website there is a ‘Buy’ button. Go there and you will find a ‘Store Locator’.

gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 8:34 PM

Thanks @rockoyster!

Thats perfect, do I need to buy online? I am hoping to do the entire transaction at the store.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3704 posts
expert
Apr 29, 2018 - 8:39 PM in reply to gamesteel

In store is what I did in Basel. They installed the sim and tweaked a couple of settings. After that it takes about 1 hour to become active. It could be less, I didn’t check sooner.

You have to do it in store anyway as you need to show your passport.

gamesteel
gamesteel
17 posts
Apr 29, 2018 - 8:46 PM

Thanks @rockoyster!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018