Three mobile reception in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 1:11:41 #815587

I am traveling to Lucerne, Interlaken and Zermatt areas (along with the known touristy places in the vicinity). We have a Three mobile sim from UK (http://www.three.co.uk) and wanted to check if the reception for the carrier is good in Switzerland. The company’s website seems to suggest that they have 3G coverage throughout Switzerland.

We intend to only use the phone for searching things on the internet as and when required (mobile data)and emergency calling. Let me know if anyone has used them in Switzerland.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 6:07:22 #883507

I guess it depends which network operator Three have a deal with in Switzerland. 4G coverage is pretty good all over the place so getting 3G is a bit of a let down. I had excellent experience with a Salt Prepay SIM which cost me CHF 30 for 26 days I was travelling. Daily downloads basically in-limited. The CHF10 initial outlay would cover your 8 day visit.

Also have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

How much will Three cost you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 16:28:19 #883508

Thanks rockoyster.

Salt Prepay SIM looks really good to me as I can pay CFH 10 for my entire trip! Where can I grab a sim after landing at Zurich Airport any suggestions?

Three will cost me around USD 15 for my entire trip. More than the money, I am looking at a way to get instant connection after landing and I have a Three sim from my previous Europe visit.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 20:14:03 #883509

You need to go to a Salt Shop. And as luck would have it there is one in Zurich Airport.

Top left on the Salt website there is a ‘Buy’ button. Go there and you will find a ‘Store Locator’.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 20:34:06 #883510

Thanks @rockoyster!

Thats perfect, do I need to buy online? I am hoping to do the entire transaction at the store.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 20:39:10 #883511

In store is what I did in Basel. They installed the sim and tweaked a couple of settings. After that it takes about 1 hour to become active. It could be less, I didn’t check sooner.

You have to do it in store anyway as you need to show your passport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 20:46:29 #883512

Thanks @rockoyster!

• The thread ‘Three mobile reception in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.