Thun or Interlaken as home base?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
CatherineC
CatherineC
5 posts
Jun 26, 2017 - 10:49 PM

We plan to stay in either Thun or Interlaken for 3 nights to visit such areas as the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Murren, Schulthorn - etc. We have found a place to stay in Thun, but I can't tell if that will be a big inconvenience or not. We are traveling by train. I'd appreciate input! thanks

Brahms
Brahms
320 posts
top member
Jun 27, 2017 - 8:15 AM

Welkom on the forum, CatherineC

The travel time between Thun and Interlaken Ost is 34 or 48 minutes by train

I think, You can better stay in the Jungfrauregion self: Interlaken, Wilderswil, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald

maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
659 posts
top member
Jun 27, 2017 - 2:56 PM in reply to CatherineC

We have stayed many times in Thun - it is much nicer than Interlaken as a place to stay. We didn't find the extra 30+ minutes to get to Interlaken an inconvenience. If the weather is not suitable for mountain visits, Thun is a good travel hub to travel to other areas when you need to adapt plans.

Maggie

CatherineC
CatherineC
5 posts
Jun 27, 2017 - 3:33 PM in reply to Brahms

Good to know- thank you!!

CatherineC
CatherineC
5 posts
Jun 27, 2017 - 3:34 PM in reply to maggiehorswell

Good thoyght- thank you!

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
204 posts
Jun 27, 2017 - 10:09 PM

Hi,

My personal favourite place to stay is Grindelwald because it is really in the middle of all the attractions that I have come to see and the mountains are right in front of you, not somewhere in the distance like at Interlaken. To my mind, Grindelwald is a destination - Thun and Interlaken are just stops on the way. Having said that, if you have to choose between Thun or Interlaken, I'd recommend Thun because it's more interesting and a bit less touristy.

Cheers

Alan

Brahms
Brahms
320 posts
top member
Jun 28, 2017 - 9:52 AM

Yes Alan, that is the different, Thun and also Interlaken is "in a city", a hotel in Wengen, Grindelwald, Murren, you are realy in mountains.

The small city of Thun and Interlaken can you do in one or two hours each when you have a rainy day, with a boat trip on the Thunersee between them, and by train back.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019