Thun or Interlaken as home base?

Thun or Interlaken as home base?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
CatherineC
CatherineC
5 posts
Jun 26, 2017 - 10:49 PM

We plan to stay in either Thun or Interlaken for 3 nights to visit such areas as the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Murren, Schulthorn - etc. We have found a place to stay in Thun, but I can't tell if that will be a big inconvenience or not. We are traveling by train. I'd appreciate input! thanks

Brahms
Brahms
320 posts
top member
Jun 27, 2017 - 8:15 AM

Welkom on the forum, CatherineC

The travel time between Thun and Interlaken Ost is 34 or 48 minutes by train

I think, You can better stay in the Jungfrauregion self: Interlaken, Wilderswil, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald

maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
460 posts
top member
Jun 27, 2017 - 2:56 PM in reply to CatherineC

We have stayed many times in Thun - it is much nicer than Interlaken as a place to stay. We didn't find the extra 30+ minutes to get to Interlaken an inconvenience. If the weather is not suitable for mountain visits, Thun is a good travel hub to travel to other areas when you need to adapt plans.

Maggie

CatherineC
CatherineC
5 posts
Jun 27, 2017 - 3:33 PM in reply to Brahms

Good to know- thank you!!

CatherineC
CatherineC
5 posts
Jun 27, 2017 - 3:34 PM in reply to maggiehorswell

Good thoyght- thank you!

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
134 posts
Jun 27, 2017 - 10:09 PM

Hi,

My personal favourite place to stay is Grindelwald because it is really in the middle of all the attractions that I have come to see and the mountains are right in front of you, not somewhere in the distance like at Interlaken. To my mind, Grindelwald is a destination - Thun and Interlaken are just stops on the way. Having said that, if you have to choose between Thun or Interlaken, I'd recommend Thun because it's more interesting and a bit less touristy.

Cheers

Alan

Brahms
Brahms
320 posts
top member
Jun 28, 2017 - 9:52 AM

Yes Alan, that is the different, Thun and also Interlaken is "in a city", a hotel in Wengen, Grindelwald, Murren, you are realy in mountains.

The small city of Thun and Interlaken can you do in one or two hours each when you have a rainy day, with a boat trip on the Thunersee between them, and by train back.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017