Ticks and other insects in Switzerland

• orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    7 March 2023 at 18:41:44 #829261

Hi Everyone, I’m heading to Switzerland end of April to beginning of May and it’ll be my first time. I heard that there are lots of ticks during this time, and since we’ll be hiking I’m concerned on the risks involved.

Besides buying deet wipes to repel the insects, are there other measures I should take?

These are the following places we plan to go: Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald…

Are there areas we should avoid?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6279 posts
    7 March 2023 at 19:33:40 #951846

Hi Stephhh 5050,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thanks for your question.

Tick bites are usually common in or near the forests. If you’re hiking in the forests, you can protect yourself from tick bites by covering up i.e. wear hats, trousers, long sleeve shirts. You can find anti-tick sprays in most supermarkets and pharmacies.

You can find useful and practical tips here: http://www.ch.ch/en/health/ticks/

Regards,

Anna

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    8 March 2023 at 1:44:14 #951847

Hi Anna, thanks for your reply! I don’t plan on going deep in the forest, just areas like e.g. Harder Kulm, Mount Rigi, Lauterbrunnen Valley, etc. Do we still take the same precautions? Are there doctors/pharmacies around for tourists to seek help if needed?

Yolanda
    2223 posts
    8 March 2023 at 12:45:43 #951848

Hello Stephhh 5050,

Yes, there will be doctors and pharmacies you can speak with for further advice. If you are staying in a hotel, I am sure your concierge can assist with directing you to a doctor or a nearby pharmacy if need be. If staying in a holiday rental, the landlord or managing agent usually provides a list of handy (medical) addresses and phone numbers.

Here is a link to locate a pharmacy in Switzerland: https://www.pharmasuisse.org/de/1364/Apothekenfinder.htm?

Perhaps as a precaution, check yourself and your family for ticks when you return home.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    15 March 2023 at 2:05:46 #951849

Hi Yolanda,

What’s the best brand for tick and insect repellant in Switzerland?

Would foreign products (not from Switzerland) work as well?

Thanks

Yolanda
    2223 posts
    15 March 2023 at 5:21:03 #951850

Hello Stephhh 5050,

Anti Brumm is widely used here, the one aimed for ticks is the distinctive yellow bottle. See link attached. Readily available in supermarkets as well pharmacies.

https://www.antibrumm.ch/produkte/anti-brumm-zecken-stopp/

If you are purchasing from overseas, I would just double check it is for protection against ticks.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Ticks and other insects in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.