Tipping in Swiss hotels and restaurants

• pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    5 July 2019 at 14:24:51 #822674

From what I have read, tipping isn’t really expected other than to maybe round up a CHF or two. What about meals that might be included at a hotel stay. For instance all the hotels I’m staying at include breakfast and one of them includes dinner as well. What would be the protocol there?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 July 2019 at 17:39:24 #916996

Hi pkerr,

Indeed tipping is not required or expected, so I don’t recommend large tips. A small tip after an excellent diner is a nice gesture to show your appreciation, but still only if you feel it was great food/service. It’s by no means necessary.

In hotels you typically pay for all the services when you check out. Again a small tip could apply there if you feel they exceeded expectations. I have never left tips separately for the maid, the front desk staff, etc. I think that’s more of a US customs, but others might disagree.

Personally I only tip sometimes, and only in case of larger amounts and excellent service. It’s always less than 5% of the bill I guess. I try not to overdo it because I like the culture of no tipping, and I hope it stays the way it is. The advertised price should be sufficient to deliver the services, and for the staff to make a good living. But that’s a personal view at things.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    5 July 2019 at 23:43:57 #916997

Thanks..

Very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2019 at 10:35:08 #916998

I agree that a small tip, for good service, is a nice thing to do. Don’t forget that 15% is already included, in the prices. A lot of people tend to just round up to the closest CHF or even number or the closest CHF 5. I often do that, plus maybe a CHF, or two. If it’s really good service and / or I plan to continue visiting the restaurant, I add 10% to the bill. But, I was a waiter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2019 at 11:49:53 #916999

Hello Pkerr,

As far as I’m concerned there is no official “service tip” included in Switzerland in any service, so you really simply show your appreciation when tipping.

So feel free to expect every “Rappen” (the Swiss cent) of your change if you’re not happy with the service, but also leaving a few francs, e.g. for someone you really appreciate This will not be seen as big-headed, but rather as big-hearted!

In restaurants it is quite common in Switzerland is that you “tell the waiter/ess when you pay the bill how much change you want,” rather than leaving the tip on the table, which makes it very personal.
    What I mean is that when you pay let’s say a bill of 38.20 you say “Fourty”, when handing over the cash (e.g. a 50 franc note) and simply get 10.- back.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Tipping in Swiss hotels and restaurants’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.