To Wengen by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2015 at 6:16:13 #807341

Is it possible to go to Wengen form Interlaken by car?

Actually I plan to stay out of Interlaken due to expensive hotel.

What other places do you recommend me to stay, instead of Interlaken?

We are 4 and we will drive by car.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 June 2015 at 5:02:51 #843619

No, it is not possible to go to Wengen by car. It is a car free village. There are no roads leading there. You must leave your car in a car park at Lauterbrunnen (and pay for the parking space) then take the train up to Wengen. In fact, most of the major sites in the region are not accessible by car. Having a car in the region is really a liability, not a good idea. The public transportation is brilliant.

Interlaken likely has the most budget accommodations in the area but is the least attractive place to stay. Look at Valley Hostel in Lauterbrunnen as an alternative.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 June 2015 at 5:59:36 #843620

You can drive only to Lauterbrunnen. Wengen is car free. Train from Lauterbrunne to Wengen. There is a large parking garage at Lauterbrunnen train station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2015 at 9:53:44 #843621

Thanks for your reply.

What about Grindelwald?

I have make hotel reservation in Grindelwald. I plan to go to Grindelwald by car.

Is it possible? How long it takes to Grindelwald from Interlaken?How many hours?

Thanks

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 June 2015 at 14:52:00 #843622

Use this website for driving times and directions: http://www.viamichelin.com

Be aware that many/most of the attractions in the region are accessible only via public transportation (cog trains, gondolas, and so on). Therefore in addition to paying for a car rental (which will stay parked much of the time) you will be well served to purchase some sort of travel pass to reduce expenses.

There is a good description here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2015 at 15:00:34 #843623

Thanks Kim.

I do appreciate very much

• The thread ‘To Wengen by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.