Tourist tax refund at Brig train station

• Mranwa
    Participant
    4 posts
    10 April 2023 at 6:00:30 #829535

Hi, I’ve been searching everywhere on Google but can’t find an answer.

We are traveling from Zermatt to Milan via Visp, Brig and Domodosolla. I can’t seems to find where exactly to get the custom stamp for tourist tax refund for our purchase (above 300 CHF). An old post on this forum mentioned the irregularly open office at Brig train station. There was also mentioned of the main customs office at Bielstrasse 1, 3902 Brig-Glis, Switzerland but apparently they don’t do tourist tax refund stamps.

We are flexible how long to transit at Brig or Domodosolla (if there’s a Swiss custom office at Italy side) before boarding our EC57 train to milan, if we can get the tax refund stamps sorted.

Any advice on where to get the stamp while traveling via train is much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    10 April 2023 at 9:12:28 #953185

Hi Mranwa,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

You can find a list of custom offices and border crossing here: http://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg/en/home/services/kontakt-oeffnungszeiten/oeffnungszeiten-kontakt-dienststellen.html

I think you should be able to get your custom stamp from the train station in Domodossola.

Regards,

Anna

Mranwa
    Participant
    4 posts
    10 April 2023 at 12:09:24 #953186

Thank you. Just arrived Brig, and the customs / BAZG / FOCBS is located on platform 1 of the train station. Look for the office as per photo attached. Got the stamp within 5 min.

Anna
    6382 posts
    10 April 2023 at 14:06:13 #953187

Hi Mranwa,

Glad you got that sorted. Thank you for the update.

Enjoy your trip!

Anna

Curlyfur
    Participant
    22 posts
    10 April 2023 at 18:57:33 #953188

Hello,

I am visiting Swiss in June. To get VAT refund, do I bring purchase receipts totaling over 300 CHF to the customs place and get stamped? What’s the process afterwards?

Mranwa
    Participant
    4 posts
    10 April 2023 at 19:35:24 #953189

When you purchase from a shop they will give you a tax refund form to fill in the details. When you leave Switzerland, you need to get a stamp on this form by customs to verify you have left the country with the goods. This is usually done at the airport. At the airport you have the option to process the refund at certain agents such as global blue etc. Otherwise you post the form back to the processing agent.

Curlyfur
    Participant
    22 posts
    10 April 2023 at 19:49:32 #953190

So if I were leaving from a Swiss airport, I would have this stamped and processed at the same place? And if by train, then stamped at train station, then processed at an airport once I’m leaving Europe?

Mranwa
    Participant
    4 posts
    11 April 2023 at 0:32:18 #953191

Bear in mind that Switzerland is not part of EU so any purchases in Switzerland will need the stamp before leaving Switzerland, whether at the airport or train station.

Douangpans
    Participant
    1 post
    12 April 2023 at 19:05:37 #953192

I am having the same problem right now. I have been searching for hours, just want you to know that your comment just save my day! Thank you!

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    13 April 2023 at 7:33:48 #953193

Thank you all for your contributions.

Another note, is that the 300 chf (or above) spent has to be spent in the same shop to be eligible for VAT refund. The store, you are making your purchases in, will be able to assist with the tax refund form completion and thereon, you can get it stamped when departing Switzerland, either at the airport or train station.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Tourist tax refund at Brig train station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.