trail walk: from Klein Scheidegg to Mannlichen or?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2014 at 16:21:46 #806341

Hi Annika and Aron,

I will have a 5-day stay in Jungfraujoch area in end-June. one of the 5 days i will take a visit to Jungfraujoch, that i expect i will spend half of the day (early morning visit, and back to Klein Scheidegg after mid-noon) there. After that i will take a trail walk in the afternoon. I plan to take it from Klein Scheidegg to Mannlichen, as it will fit better my itinerary that day. But most people say that it will be better taking it in the opposite direction – from Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg. Does it make any difference indeed…? I know that taking it from Klein Scheidegg to Mannlichen means a climb of 2061m -> 2239m in a 1-hr 40-min walk but I think I and my wife can manage it. Thanks for your advice.~

Curly

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 May 2014 at 5:26:52 #839864

Hi Curly,

Most people indeed prefer to do the trail, described in detail here, from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. Because that’s how you’re facing the Jungfrau massif all the time. But you can just as well walk in the opposite direction. It is still beautiful, and you can stop every now and then to take a look at the view behind you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2014 at 6:11:38 #839865

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the information. We are taking a 11-day visit to Switzerland in mid-June and will then head to Italy for another 11-day visit. Below please find our brief itinerary and please feel free to advise/comment if this works well.

Day 1 (14 Jun): arrival at Zurich; a half-day city visit in Zurich.

Day 2: visit Vaduz in the morning, and visit Maienfeld in the afternoon.

Day 3: travel to Lucerne in the morning, then a half-day visit in Lucerne in the afternoon.

Day 4: visit to Mount Rigi in the morning till afternoon (boat-trip to Vitznau then train to Rigi Kulm); then travel to Interlaken/Grindelwald in late afternoon. We will take Grindelwald as our base.

Day 5: visit to First area, and trail walk to Bachalpsee in the morning; visit Gletscher Schlucht in the afternoon.

Day 6: visit Jungfraujoch in the morning; trail walk Mannlichen <=> Klein Scheidegg in the afternoon.

Day 7: go to Lauterbrunnen area; trail walk Grutschalp => Murren in the morning; visit to Schilthorn in mid-noon; then take cable-car to Stechelberg and walk from Stechelberg to visit Trummelbach Falle, and then go back to Lauterbrunnen.

Day 8: move from Grindelwald to Interlaken Ost in the morning (we will accommodate in Interlaken at night); then visit Blausee in mid-noon (Blausee opening till 16:00 on 21 Jun), then visit Oeschinensee. Then back to Interlaken Ost.

Day 9: take Brienzee boat trip to Brienz, then take the steam-train to Brienzer Rothorn; then take the steam-train back to Brienz and then train back to Interlaken Ost. We will then move to Zermatt in late afternoon.

Day 10: visit Matterhorn Glacier Paradise in the morning; then back to Zermatt in mid-noon; then take a trail walk Blauherd => Sunnega.

Day 11: Go to Gornergrat in the morning, then take a trail-walk Rotenboden => Riffelberg, then take train back to Zermatt. We will then head off to Milan in mid-noon.

Thanks a lot.~ : )

Curly

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2014 at 7:29:28 #839866

Hi Annika,

One more question: for the above 11-day itinerary, we plan to buy a 15-day Swiss Saver Pass (2 adults) – and we will buy those train/cable-car tickets at a discount when we go to the peaks, and may top up to get 1st-class tickets for some boat-trips. Are we correct…? Or should we buy those Half Fare Pass instead so as to save more…? Thanks.~

Curly

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 May 2014 at 8:52:39 #839867

Hi Curly,

You have given your itinerary much thought, and most of it looks good to me. Some days are quite busy but doable if you start early. Note that in June higher trails may still be snow covered and thus inaccessible (e.g. Bachsee, Blauherd), so be sure to check that before going up. More about hiking can be found here.

I would personally not stay in Grindelwald and Interlaken, but choose only one of them as a base. They’re only half an hour apart by train, and switching hotels takes time. Interlaken would be a perfect base for all your plans in the region, but it’s a different experience staying there as compared to Grindelwald. You can check our pages about these towns for details.

Regarding the pass: you’re traveling a lot, which makes the Swiss Pass a good choice indeed. See here for a general explanation on how to choose a pass. Visit the Swiss Pass page if you need more details on how the pass works, where it’s valid, where to buy, etc. The Swiss Peak Pass add-on may be of interest too.

If you have further questions about your itinerary or anything else, it helps to post that in a new topic, as not a lot of people will notice it here in a thread about hiking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2014 at 10:18:56 #839868

Hi Annika,

Thanks a lot..! The information helps much.~ I still have a few questions and I will make a new post for them. Thanks.

Curly

• The thread ‘trail walk: from Klein Scheidegg to Mannlichen or?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.