Swiss Travel Pass on routes that cross borders

• mikefrank
    Participant
    22 posts
    15 July 2019 at 17:39:33 #822868

Hi,

I searched on the forum and SBB site but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for in regards to certain routes. We’ll be in Switzerland June 2020, and will be traveling between Brig and Locarno which will be via Domodossola Italy. I see it appears the Swiss Travel Pass will cover all of that trip (except any reservations), is that correct?

I also have similar question in regards from traveling from Geneva to Chamonix, and then return trip from Charmonix to Martigny. I see the Martigny to Chamonix is covered by the pass (assume the return trip from Chamonix to Martigny is covered too), but don’t see mention of Geneva to Chamonix. Would traveling from and back from Geneva be covered?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    15 July 2019 at 17:50:53 #917873

Hi mikefrank!

You’d best study the downloadable validity map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. Brig-Domodossola-Locarno is fully covered indeed. Traveling from Martigny to Chamonix is covered too. And so is the entire route Geneva-Martigny-Chamonix and back, as long as you travel within Switzerland. You might be referring to the French route via Annemasse and Bonneville? That one wouldn’t be covered. The Swiss connection via Martigny doesn’t take that much longer though, so I advise you use that one and profit from the free traveling provided by your Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 1:00:58 #917874

The STP is valid on certain routes outside Switzerland due to geographical/geopolitical historical quirks. Domodossola – Locarno is ‘free’ because the railway is a joint operation between Swiss and Italian companies, and because Brig – Domodossla through the legendary Simplon Tunnel is Swiss owned infrastructure.

‘Free’ validity to Chamonix from Martigny is a comparitively recent innovation, brought about by the closer co-operation between SNCF and Martigny are railways under the ‘Mont Blanc Express’ banner.

Chamonix – Geneve via France (La Roche sur Foron) is most definitely not covered as it is a totally French route and the timetable, is not nearly as good as Switzerland, the French are notorius for poor railway timetables

For the record, other routes include:

Basel – Rodersdorf tramway crosses a bit of France

Boncourt – Delle (France)

Koblenz – Waldshut (Germany)

Kreuzlingen – Konstanz (Germany) is part of the SBB

Quite a few post bus routes in the Bormio region of Italy bordering South East Switzerland (Bormio was Swiss in the 17th and 18th centuries

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass on routes that cross borders’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.