Train tickets from Locarno to Milan via Chiasso

• TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    25 June 2022 at 15:51:51 #827596

Hello MSA Forum members

I just want to get clarification about something new that I have read about: The Ticino Ticket (for free travelling on public transport – trains and buses) in the whole area of Ticino. We are going to stay a few days in Locarno. Regarding the website, they mention that our Hotel will provide us then with this ticket. I see there is also like a code that you can just put on the app on your phone to activate this ticket. This Free Ticino Ticket will be wonderful for us during our stay in Locarno. We are going to visit Bellinzona and Lugano on day trips as well and then our train and bus transport is included in this ticket. Do I understand this correctly?

So will it be possible for us to travel by train from Locarno to Chiasso (for Free with this Ticino Ticket)?

Our next destination after switzerland will be Italy. I have bought train tickets from Chiasso to Milan and onwards to La Spezia on the Trainline website.

Now, I see on SBB site that the SAME train that we have to get in Chiasso (regarding to the departure time in Chiasso 10h31), is coming from Locarno – depart Locarno at 9h25 (with end destination Milano centrale at 11h17). It is a Regional Express Train with the same train number (25515) leaving Locarno and the same train number leaving from Chiasso (25515). So this means that this is then the same train.

So does this mean then that we can board this train already in Locarno, STAY on this train and then only show our paid train ticket for the train inspector for our trip from Chiasso to Milan and onwards? (And then it is not necessary to catch an earlier train from Locarno, wait for 30 minutes on Chiasso station and then board this RE train coming from Locarno and depart Chiasso at 10h31).

Please confirm if I do understand everything. Any advise and info will be appreciated.

Thanks

TravelElla

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6351 posts
    25 June 2022 at 18:01:55 #943586

Hi TravelElla,

Your understanding is correct. If you are staying more than 1 night in Ticino, you are entitled to receive the Ticino Ticket from your accommodation provider. This tickets provides free public transport in the region during your stay. So yes, you can use to travel from Locarno to Chiasso for free.

Indeed the 9.25 train from Locarno goes direct to Milan and there is no need for you to change in Chiasso.

Regards,

Anna

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    26 June 2022 at 7:04:23 #943587

Hello Anna

Thank you so much for this confirmation. This will make our travel for that day so much easier. I am glad that we will then also benefit from the Ticino Ticket during our stay in Locarno.

Greetings

TravelElla

• The thread ‘Train tickets from Locarno to Milan via Chiasso’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.