Trains from Zurich to Lucerne and Wengen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 17:52:55 #849007

<<“Hi Arno and Slowpoke, thanks so much for your help. My travel date is

14.6.16. Travelling from Wengen to Paris.Couldn’t see any Golden pass

trains. Thank you for assisting.”>>

Here is one example. I only checked as far as Montreux. From there, you can plan another journey to Paris.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 March 2016 at 18:27:33 #849008

The connection attached by Slowpoke is a good one. As you can see, not all trains are marked “Golden Pass”. But that’s not the point: the Golden Pass line is a route and any train on that route is fine. Perhaps that’s what confused you.

You can take a break in Montreux and then take a train to Geneva, or proceed to Geneva immediately and take a break there. In any case you can catch the 17:42 train from Geneva to Paris, arriving 20:49. Everything up to Geneva is covered by your Swiss Travel Pass. So you only need tickets from Geneva to Paris. Please see here. In your case, have a look at http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ train/tgv-lyria. Tickets are cheap if you book early. Right now they’re only SG$ 49 for your train.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 19:26:33 #849009

Hi Arno-

<<“The connection attached by Slowpoke is a good one. As you can see, not

all trains are marked “Golden Pass”. But that’s not the point: the

Golden Pass line is a route and any train on that route is fine.”<>>

True .

However, some trains have different kinds of special cars:

http://www.goldenpassline.ch/ en/goldenpass-panoramic-2/

and

http://www.goldenpassline.ch/ en/goldenpass-classic/

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 March 2016 at 19:43:16 #849010

Hi Slowpoke,

You’re very right. I was just thinking: on a long trip from Wengen to Paris one shouldn’t be picky about the exact train, but just settle for the one that makes sense time wise. The views are the same anyway. If more time is available, then yes, the panoramic windows are a nice feature.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 20:33:34 #849011

I was trying to forestall questions about what the detailed information on the timetable screen capture means, where it says “GoldenPassPanoramic (avec Places VIP)”.

I know that you know that, but my comment was meant to take the next step beyond yours, to avoid the next question. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2016 at 21:36:23 #849012

GIven the time period you have in mind, and the tourist trade at this still shoulder season, you are advised to purchase your mountain excursion tickets when you are there. You aren’t facing mobs of other tourists (although two of us will be). Much is made, deservedly of the Jungfrau train trip. An alternative that is quite breathtaking is going by a series of four cable cars to the top of Schilthorn from Lauterbrunnen.

Rise early and take one of the early cable cars before 9 a.m. and you will save 25% of the normal tariff. Well worth the effort. Also, spending time in the café on top is fun. It is possible to obtain a cable-car ticket with breakfast and that would be a ‘special’ experience. Again, wait and find out what the weather is. We were lucky this past December. The day we arrived in Lauterbrunnen was drenching. In the morning, local professional photographers were out taking those COME SEE ME photographs you encounter. A quick view through YouTube will give you info to go on. See following link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZsUkUT8zU

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 21:58:15 #849013

Hi Applecroft –

<<“Again, wait and find out what the weather is. We were lucky this past

December. The day we arrived in Lauterbrunnen was drenching. In the

morning, local professional photographers were out taking those COME SEE

ME photographs you encounter. “>>

It is hard to explain how quickly the weather can change with the mountains adding their own contributions.

Last year we went in to Wengen in mid-June with cloudy weather forecast, on my grandson’s first trip to Switzerland. As the train came up from Lauterbrunnen, the Valley came into view and it was wonderfully clear. We had about a 30-45 minute window for that view. The rest of the two days were socked in except for a forecast modest lessening in clouds, which did materialize at Männlichen….but not enough to be useful. So, we went along the valley floor, then we went to Brienz. Sunny.

Go figure.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2016 at 13:11:36 #849014

Thank you applecroft for your suggestions.

Hi Arno and Slowpoke, thanks so much for your clarification and suggestions. I have already purchased the 8 days swiss travel pass. Hotels and flights booked. Only left with TGV ticket from Geneva to Paris. Will book by tonight. Tried the raileurope.com.sg but prices changed when when at payment page. Big difference . It cost SGD $100++ per person. Total was $400 plus for 2 adult 2 kids. Can i try this website en.voyages-sncf? Slightly cheaper SGD $230 for 4 of us. Once i book this we will be ready. Just need to decide on our itenary what we going to do. So the mountain trip can be booked 1 day before rite? And the city walks and boat trips for sightseeing. Thank you..

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 March 2016 at 13:44:37 #849015

Hi Devi29,

RailEurope often change their prices (due to exchange rates) on Wednesday. While they’re doing so you may indeed see prices go up or down when adding them to the shopping cart. I’ve seen that too, it’s quite confusing. You can try the Voyages-SNCF site too, please see tgv-lyria.en.voyages-sncf.com/en. All websites listed on myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france/ price are trusted retailers for tickets. Excursions can be booked whenever you want: weeks in advance or one minute before on the spot, unless you prefer guided tours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2016 at 14:11:00 #849016

Hi Arno. Thank you for the information. I will wait till tmr then book. See if Thursday prices are ok. I have booked the 8 days swiss travel pass from Swiss railways. Hope it is ok. Can I also ask. For the TGV ticket it’s from location will be Geneva (CH) right? Not Genevalid airport correct.?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2016 at 14:12:01 #849017

Sorry. I meant Geneva airport.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 March 2016 at 14:29:00 #849018

Hi Devi29,

Yes, a TGV ticket from Geneva or Geneva CH (same thing) is ok. You don’t need tickets from the airport to the main station as that’s covered in the Swiss Travel Pass.

You can edit your posts by the way 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 4:44:10 #849019

Hi Arno, i have already booked the TGV ticket from Geneva to Paris on 1st Class. Swiss travel pass for 8 days on 2nd class booked. Hotels booked 3 nights lucerne hotel Altstalt and 2 nights Wengen Hotel Belvedere. Now just left with our activities. I will plan that nearer to our dates in june. Nothing else to be booked earlier i think. Like the mountain trips and city tours and transport museum. What do u think ? I would like to thank you, Annika and Slowpoke for all the help given to me..

Annika
    7125 posts
    18 March 2016 at 7:39:46 #849020

Hi Devi29,

Good to hear you’ve booked your travel passes and hotels. You’re right, further activities don’t have to be booked in advance. The only exceptions would be VIP seats in the Golden Pass, if you’d be interested, or guided tours.

Glad we could help. If you like, you can post a trip report once you’re back.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The thread ‘Trains from Zurich to Lucerne and Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.