Trains Milan-Bellinzona-Erstfeld-Zuerich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 4:54:45 #813156

Hi!

I am traveling from Milan to zurich, then staying the night and continue my trip to paris. The problem I have is the following: I bought the EC train ticket without knowing about the Gotthard Basistunnel, so I was thinking if it was possible to step off the train in bellinzona and then take the IR trains to Zurich via Erstfeld.

I do not know if it is allowed to step off on a station before my destination (if I can be fined), and then I do not know if there IR tickets can be purchased on the moment before taking the train, I also do not undestand if there is a fixed price and if those routes are so busy that I won’t be able to get a window seat

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 8:04:06 #869363

Hi ctorresvelez and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No, there is nothing stopping you from getting off the train anywhere and taking another train to Zurich.
    Reservations aren’t possible on almost all Swiss trains. Buying a ticket at the station in Bellinzona for Zurich won’t be a problem.

I don’t know when you are traveling, but summer trains can be busy with tourists (but finding a seat shouldn’t be a problem).
    You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to find train schedules from Bellinzona to Zurich. There is a “capacity” section on the timetable. If there is 1 person it should be quiet, 2 people and it is above average and three ‘red’ people means it is expected to be very busy. It lists two columns, one for 1st class and one for 2nd class.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 September 2017 at 8:30:55 #869364

Hi Lucas,

He already has a ticket to Zurich so won’t need to buy a ticket at Bellinzona – right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 16:59:42 #869365

Yes, that is probably true!

Normally tickets on the Gotthard route are valid for both the long and the “short” tunnel, so one can choose for speed or scenery. Unless the Italian ticket is some kind of Supersaver (i.e. valid for one train only). Of course you lose the seat reservation in the EC train. So without any special ticket conditions he does not need another ticket.

If you have any doubts, ctorresvelez, you can always ask the EC train staff or the staff in Bellinzona if you have any concerns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 3:10:38 #869366

Hi!

I really thank you for your answers!!

Just to know, how much would the trip Bellinzona-Erstfeld and Erstfeld-Zurich cost? Between 50 and 100 CHF is reasonable?

Thanks!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 September 2017 at 8:01:38 #869367

Hi ctorresvelez,

A single train ticket for that route would cost CHF 59. But there’s a good chance your ticket is valid for any train, so no need to buy another ticket. How to find prices is explained on the timetable page Lucas linked to.

• The thread ‘Trains Milan-Bellinzona-Erstfeld-Zuerich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.